Age raised to 21 to buy Tobacco in NYC.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Oct 31, 2013.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://nypost.com/2013/10/31/tobacco-age-raised-to-21-but-still-18-for-weed-bongs/
    Will this really many a difference, young kids smoke already, I don't see how this ban will be effective.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

May as well make 21 the age you become an adult.....

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I mean, as long as you can still buy a bong...

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The better solution to keep people healthy is to ban tobacco altogether. What will 3 years do?

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I don't support banning things to keep people healthy. I prefer taxing things that are unhealthy so we can keep people's freedoms intact while making money off them at the same time.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

That won't help healthcare costs if people don't choose to get healthy. Why not take it a step further and not treat people with self inflicted illness to save money?

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I get your point, but banning unhealthy habits is not the solution. They tried it with prohibition, it didn't work, remember?

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I know it doesn't work, neither do the ads saying how bad the stuff is. So do we kill off a generation until it sinks in or keep prolonging the problem.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Why make it illegal? It's just some other inane thing to throw people in jail over, which would ultimately end up being more expensive than supporting them on healthcare.

The secret is to make it an even bigger social faux pas than it is now. The more embarrassing it is to be seen out in public with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth, the less likely it'll be for someone will decide to start a new habit. There'll still be a few people who'll still decide to smoke, of course, but they'll be relatively few and far between.

10. APlotdevice, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

As both the prohibition era and the war on drugs has shown, all outright bans ever do is promote organized crime.

At the same time teens are much easier to influence. They are prone to giving into peer pressure. Which is often what leads to such addictions in the first place.

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

According to the article, teen cigarette smoking rates are at an all time low. Somehow I think that has far more to do with the price of cigarettes now than any law actually being enforced, but something is helping.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

21 seems a little extreme when most people who smoke probably started at 14 thanks to the high school black market (like I did....:D)

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

18 year olds can still be in high school, and therefor help supply said "market". The same generally cannot be said of 21 year olds. (I'm not saying this will put a stop to it, but it could at least make things harder)

It also makes it easier to identify who is legal, since New York is among several states that supply a distinctly different ID depending on whether you are under or over 21.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

14 year olds are also less likely to have brothers/sisters over 21 who will get them cigarettes.

I suspect less 14 year olds drink in the US than in the UK thanks to the higher age limit.

To me this seems like a good idea.

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Bullseye. Add even higher taxes to them and start handing out fines to *******s who throw their butts on the ground and that should encourage more people to quit. My brother In law spends a car payment a month on that crap. He's trying hard to quit. Maybe we can't stop teenagers from experimenting but maybe as soon as they are on their own, with bills to pay, they will kick the habit.

17. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Although I believe tobacco is an evil serge on human civilization killing 400,000 people every year in the US, I can't really believe that we happily send our youth at 18 to get shot at in Afghanistan but they cant buy a pack of cigarettes to calm their nerves when they come home?

If you're an adult at 18 (are we letting children join the armed forces?) then let them make adult decisions.

Otherwise ban tobacco sales altogether.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Who exactly is happy to send an 18 year old to Afghanistan? :eek:

But maybe you're right. There is a strong case for a single age where someone is regarded as able to make rational decisions about their own life.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe it's just the people I hang out with, but out of all my friends and coworkers, I can count on one hand how many of them smoke cigarettes. I just don't think smoking cigarettes is as appealing to youth as it was years ago.

Weed on the other hand.....thankfully pot isn't nearly as dangerous to your health as tobacco.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Whatever the agreed legal age, those who sell tobacco and alcohol to kids who are underage should do serious jail time for being drug dealers. Alcohol and tobacco do far more damage than 'illegal' drugs....

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Only in 'Murica. At 18 you can die for your country, but you can't legally smoke or drink. Sucks for ya kids 18, 19 and 20 year old.

IMO, if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to drink and smoke in my book.

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Personally I do not think we should allow 18 year olds to join the military. People at that age are just too impulsive and too prone to suggestion... which is EXACTLY why the armed forces focus so much of their recruiting efforts on them.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think you've got a point, we should raise the minimum age for joining the military too. might make it a bit more difficult to recruit and make it less likely that we will pull ourselves into pointless wars.

I think this is a good idea to raise the age for buying tobacco. I'm not sure if it will work super well, but it will make it so that 18 year olds who are still in high school are not able to buy tobacco for younger kids. Although with it just being NYC once they are old enough to drive there isn't much stopping them from going outside the city to get it.

24. malman89 macrumors 68000

The first thought I had as a non-smoker was, what does this do in terms of tax revenue from cigarette sales? Bloomberg with his endless reserve of cash isn't concerned about revenue over a health initiative, but a cash strapped city might be.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Let's compromise. Anyone in the armed forces can smoke or drink, regardless of age.