Ah, Hillary!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Desertrat, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Desertrat macrumors newbie

This is supposed to be "the smartest woman in the world"? Presidential material? Are you kidding me?

"Elect me and oil prices instantly drop, says Hillary Clinton in Iowa "

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...nd_oil_prices_instantly_drop_s-1.html?ref=rss

"When the world hears her commitment at her inauguration about ending American dependence on foreign fuel, Clinton says, oil-pumping countries will lower prices to stifle America's incentive to develop alternative energy."

1. Ending dependence on foreign oil ain't gonna happen.
    2. Any serious reduction in dependence on foreign oil is gonna take ten or more years.
    3. Any reduction in the price of oil will result from a WORLDWIDE reduction in the demand for oil--and the only thing that will bring that about is a worldwide recession.

So, now let us look at a more likely cause for a reduction in the price of oil, as a segue from item 3:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ma...7/12/23/cccrisis123.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

This fits in with reality a helluva lot more than does the blather from the campaign trail. For all that I'm opposed to many of Hillary's ideas about how the world oughta operate, I at least had a wee tad more respect for her understanding of what's going on in the world than I should have.

"Crisis may make 1929 look a 'walk in the park'"

The contributors to the article are not a bunch of terminal ignoranti...

'Rat

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What did Oil cost with the Clintons in the whitehouse vs BushCo & his Oil Buddies running the whitehouse.

She may have a solid argument.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You do realize that at some point it physically HAS to happen, right? :rolleyes:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

DHM- I think the point is that Hillary is hardly capable of doing what she claims. She's really starting to come undone.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont think so, I think she is just stating what she thinks will happen.

Look we all know about the secret Oil meetings Cheney had with Big Oil. We also know how Big Oil posted the biggest profits EVER made.
    I think she is telling the truth, Oil will be cheaper if we have a coherent energy policy vs Big Oil making its own policy.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Perhaps. But if history proves correct, Big Oil will buy her just like the health care industry did and we'll get nothing.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, considering that Bush's cronies have claimed that invading Iraq would reduce the cost of oil, I don't think you have much to complain about.

Stupid thing to say? Sure. But considering out current "presidential material", I'd say Hillary measures up just fine.

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You can't spell Hilarity without Hilary. It's even more pointed if you spell it wrong.

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

that's not true. The health care industry fought the Clinton health plan tooth and nail. After all, it interfered with their profit margins. If we see big oil start sliming Hillary, we'll know she must be doing something right.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Tell me that you really didn't mean to say that. Did you know that prices on everything has risen every year no matter who is president? Why were prices higher during the Clinton administration then they were during Nixon's? :rolleyes:

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yes, that's inflation, but the real price of oil was lower in the 90s than in the late 70s.

12. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

decksnap, I'm well aware of the whole shmear about oil's availability over the next twenty or so years. I've known about Hubbert's Pimple for (Sheesh!) forty years. But as long as we use oil for transportation fuel, and as long as the other half of the barrel is used in petrochemicals so you and yours can have plastics and several hundred other consumer products, we will be dependent on foreign oil.

Even if every car, truck and train in the U.S. were electric or hydrogen, we'd still be importing oil.

That somebody's notions about politics might be diametrically opposed to mine is unimportant. No matter what the views, I prefer folks in office who don't babble stoopid when they go to yapping. This utterance, coming on the heels of the dumbest energy bill ever written, is just way scary.

"Who's minding the store?"

'Rat

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

And they still haven't reached the level where they were in real dollars as they were during the Carter years. I don't know why people are whining about fuel prices. It's still a bargain.

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

So are you to say that you do not use plastics or any other synthetic material made from crude oil? The statement makes it sound that way. It also make you sound like an intolerable human. It also make it hard to see your point. I don't like Hilary, but I don't like her for about 150 other reasons.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

After all these years of blaming Bush for everything including crop failures, flooding, etc. all due to the god like power of the white house -- I'm quite sure she will be capable of curing cancer in 4 years and solving the cold fusion problems, so lowering the price of oil should be a piece of cake.

However, I cannot wait for the bashing she would get in office -- which is a sad commentary on the current state of politics in the US.

16. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

The "Telegraph" link in the opening post has expired. I found this URL in their archives for Dec 23rd:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ma...7/12/23/cccrisis123.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

synth3tik, my impression of some who post here is that they somehow see themselves as "above the fray", from the standpoint of demand on resources. But we all use plastics and other products which derive from those deep holes in the ground--whether they're on dry land or begin a mile below the surface of seas. I just use a generic, non-specific "you" to try to get folks' attention...

Intolerable? Nope. My wrinkles come from grinning, and a helluva lot of people smile and howdy whenever I show up. I'm just not much on sugar-coating reality.

Merry Christmas, alla y'all!!!

'Rat

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Whoever called her the "smartest woman in the world"?

She's making a prediction, not a guarantee. It's a somewhat simplistic view, but not beyond the realm of possibility.

On those last two paragraphs, she's dead-on.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What's truly sad is that you seem to think Bush is responsible for nothing. He's most definitely responsible for a lot of dead people both foreign and domestic.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its almost funny how many republicans hate this woman yet...... Bush has Blown 500 billion,destroyed this countrys reputation,ignited another arms race, is responsible from anywhere from 4,000- to over 100,000 dead folks,walking all over OUR Constitution,geneva convention,Katrina and his Pathetic response,letting big oil set its own policys,selling out this countrys borders and letting in millions of mexicans all the while when never catching a guy named Bin Laden .....and the Republicans call themselves christians and hate Hillary???
    Republicans are a party of hypocrites and fascists and just plain Liars.

20. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

The "smartest woman" appellation came from some senator during a hearing on her health care proposal.

Even before Carter, around 1974, the joke was, "Heard about the Polish energy policy?" "No, what is it?" "Oh, it's about like ours." Carter had no energy policy, beyond, "Turn down the thermostat and wear a sweater!" (Which, I suppose, was better than, "Oh, sh**!") The public turned to high mpg cars, lesser-wattage light bulbs and more insulation--which resulted by 1984-ish in ten-dollar oil and Mexico's going broke. With ten-dollar oil, the entire U.S. retreated into somnolence on the issue.

"Somnolence" has been the U.S. energy policy until the rest of the world started industrializing and competing for a relatively fixed supply...

And now, all in a panic, we go to an energy-inefficient product which has already led to a worldwide rise in food prices and in shortages--and will get much worse. IMO: More people will die as a result of this than "Bush killed". The cumulative additional costs of food, worldwide, will make $500 billion look like chump change.

'Rat

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I just not giving the boob too much credit, since I don't think they are smart enough smuggle in a dime bag without getting caught.

Yet I do think the 3 stooges would have done a better job running things, with less damage and fewer bad press articles.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here's the energy policy Jimmy Carter didn't have:
    Speech to the American people, April 18, 1977.

More:

Speech to the American people, July 15, 1979.

As you can see, thermostats some into it only at the very end of this "non-policy".

Of course, a lot of this stuff never got implemented. I wonder why that would be?? :rolleyes:

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Congress.

24. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

1979, 1980, the Democrats controlled Congress and did nothing--so Carter had no energy policy. A speech is not any sort of active and implemented policy. He was a nice guy, but totally ineffective as President.

Back to the main point: Consider the culture of the oil-exporting countries. Machismo is the order of the day in all of them. For any woman to say in public that her ideas will make them roll over and "come to taw" is ludicrous in the extreme. Given the world demand for oil, the least reduction in output by OPEC will keep oil prices high even if we do reduce our own imports.

The OPEC leaders are either POed at her arrogance, or doing the ROFL thing; dunno which. Maybe both. but for sure, they won't forget the implicit insult.

'Rat

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You don't think that Hillary will hold sway with countries that don't allow their women to drive or travel without their husband's permission? :rolleyes: