Ahmadinejad: no homosexuals in Iran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

from the NY Times report on his visit;

it's certainly going to be an interesting week

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I saw that too. The video on CNN shows that part and the audience gets a kick out of it. Of course I'm sure we all could have guessed his stance on homosexuality before this point.

I'm not sure how much more research can be done on the holocaust.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He's right, because they kill them all. While I feel that every country has a right to sovereignty, he is a liar. That also doesn't mean we shouldn't condemn his actions. And just so Swarmlord knows (before he shows up), I hate militant Islam as much as I despise fundamental Chistianity. Extreme religion in any form is repulsive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Iran

This is an example of the most disgusting thing that ever happened there. It made me sick to my stomach to read this. Make no mistake about it- I think these people are savages. If I had my way- we'd nuke them off the face of the planet. However, I understand that different countries have their own laws and their own ways. It's not my place to tell another country what to do. Let's hope that someday, the people in those countries rise up.

http://beirut.indymedia.org/ar/2005/07/2999.shtml

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

That works for me, but will the oil survive? ;)

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Oil isn't the reason we are in Ira....gets slapped in face.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think they were laughing at him.

I'm assuming someone will come in here to ask us what we think of Adnutjob (or whatever they'll call him because they don't know how to spell it right or they're just being snide) now, because we all like him so much. Even though we don't. We just don't think he's as bad as has been said, or as I said in the other thread, at least not as much of a threat that would warrant another failing war we don't have the resources to deal with.

Someone also pointed out that he's a worse version of Bush, what we could slowly head towards if we're not careful. That could be disputed, but they do share a love of rhetoric. And they aren't great with dissenters. Maybe Addy is worse in some ways, Bush has certainly done some damage himself though, but any reasonable person, given the evidence, should dislike both of them for what you'd think would be obvious reasons.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Didn't see it myself, but work colleagues who did said the same thing: that they were laughing at him.

How could you refrain from giggling in the face of such monumental stupidity?

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

See, there isn't all that much difference between us on many issues. I thought of you the moment that I heard Abdimjob make his statement. I was happy he made that statement though. Anyone that might have been leaning towards giving this guy the benefit of the doubt on the other answers he provided would HAVE to realize that this guy is out of touch with reality to deny the existence of ANY homosexuals in his country.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I thought I was watching Borat when I saw that...:rolleyes:

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

There was a strong resemblance and certainly as absurd.

12. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

That's exactly why Columbia University should be applauded for letting Mahmoud Ahmadinejad talk. It showed him up as being an intellectually 'retarded' and really, a rather silly figure.

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Oh I just love this. The U.S. allows this guy into our country but denies M.I.A. a visa to perform at the 2007 Sasquatch! Festival in Washington State.

I understand that he is a political figure and all but still.

14. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

That's what I meant... I did not mean to imply that they were laughing at the "fact" that there were no homosexuals in Iran. I think it was pretty clear they were laughing at him.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Amen. You give this guy a place to make an idiot out of himself, and voila... one idiot produced.

Had he been restricted from his appearance, this issue would have become about the refusal to let him speak. Instead, we're all talking about what an asshat this guy is.

Although, to his credit, he visited an openly hostile forum with an audience that had not been pre-screened, nor signed any loyalty oaths to Ahmedinijad and/or his political party. He showed up knowing he was going to be taking it on the chin, and he did it anyway.

When was the last time our president did something like that?

16. Queso macrumors G4

This could start a trend. Bush could speak at Tehran U :p

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The GOP may take a liking to this guy if he keeps hitting on their hotbutton issues. All he needs now is a strong anti-abortion message and an NRA card and I think he'd have a shot at being a darling.

18. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I remember reading on this forum a while back many people saying they they trusted Ahmadinejad and Chavez more than Bush. I wonder if that still stands today.

Ahmadinejad was part of the group in Iran that held our Embassy workers for 444 days. That was in 1979 way before Bush was president. No matter what anyone says he was the guy that was there. If your held for 444 days you get to know your captors well. some of them said he was one of the head guys and even if you put him in a pink TuTu its Still the guy.

Guess you don't have a 2nd Amendment in your country. NRA forever. They didn't have an NRA in Nazi Germany and look what happened. All the people were disarmed and then taken away.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

With a line like that I can't tell if you're serious or a shill for the rabid anti-gun lobby...talk about tossing out softballs!

1979...in those days Bush the younger was still sleeping off the hangover he acquired from drinking his way through the Vietnam war as a half-baked National Guard pilot...

20. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Isn´t Ahmadinejad gay?
    Therefore when he was speaking, he wasn't in the country and therefore there were none there?

Okay, I may have crossed a line, but I'm just following the lead of all politicians...

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think he's polling behind Giuliani and Romney but is catching up to Thompson.

22. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm surprised anyone would be leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt, considering Iran's awful human rights record. I guess "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", and Ahmadinejad does criticize the current administration an awful lot.

The aforementioned notwithstanding, the Bush administration is certainly doing a lot to help Ahmadinejad's public image by maligning him with so little substance to back it up.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Are you still ok with the rhetoric given against the homosexuals in our country by those you support? We know Iran sucks. We know he sucks. We're supposed to be better than that. While we may not have state sponsored gay stonings, we do persecute them. Many of our leaders have no problem doing so openly, and have even been helped to be elected on such issues.

I also look at things like what happened to Matthew Shepard, and think we aren't as far away from them as we think we are.

I think they shoot abortionists, so that's covered. ;)

As has been said many, many times, it's not that we like either of them. We don't. We just really don't like Bush. Since he's our guy, we get to complain about him. We don't want him turning into someone like Ahmadinejad either, because we're supposed to be the good guys. We see a lot of similarities, and would like to prevent such things.

Also part of the strategy. Iran walks the fine line. Lots of rhetoric, but not enough to show follow through. The Bush administration talks tough against them in return, and it escalates. If they're trouble, we can't really do much. But we lose for not at least trying to handle it. If they have nothing but tough talk, and we do try to do something, we look like the bad guys. They can just claim self defense either way too. It's a tough position, and some in this country are just playing right into it.

So of course we blame Bush, because he's our guy and is just making things worse.

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

We? Surely the criminal actions of a handful of haters doesn't reflect policy as a country. Do you think that heteros weren't just as abhored by that as the gay community?

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, probably not as many as should have been. And no- I don't think as many heteros were just as appalled by that as the gay community. Many were, but hardly just as many. Think about what you said for a minute.