Ahmadinejad says Israel will be "eliminated"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Sep 24, 2012.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Reuters.com

This *******'s speech is on Yom Kippur. I wonder if we'll see angry jews rioting and killing people?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

in before "that wasn't translated properly". Maybe by "eliminate" he just meant to have a gigantic party with them and eliminate any doubts about their friendship.

3. Fazzy macrumors 6502

If that is the most outrageous thing you can find in the article, you seriously need to reconsider your priorities.

4. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

That Ahmadinejad has this view that Isreal doesn't have the right to exist based on its short history vs. Iran's long history is a little curious. The Jewish people do have a long (thousand+ year) history in the region, formerly known as Judea and Zion.

The Jews were dispersed through the years, but why should that matter? This is their historical homeland. Displacement of the Palestinians is the issue, but this should be settled as a compromise. I wonder why he doesn't talk about this, instead of making "wipe them off the map" statements.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

While I support diplomatic means whenever possible, Ahmadinejad's attitudes and ideologies are going to get much of Iran leveled because there will not be any other alternative than a strategic first-strike. This guy has proved to the world that reasoning does not exist (nor do human rights).

And as far as the justification of existence and autonomy using religion...well, I'm not even going to comment on that.

6. Jackintosh, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I'm not so sure talk of leveling Iran is going to be productive. This is actually inflamatory and useful to no one. Even Isreal hasn't said that, only the possibility of surgical strikes against specific non-civilian targets.

I also wouldn't ignore religious history here, because this is at the heart of the matter.

7. AhmedFaisal Guest

Because he is about as much a nutjob as Avigdor Lieberman and the ultraorthodox nutters in Israel that want nothing short of a greater Israel with the Palestinians and all other non-Jews thrown out. The problem in the Middle East is that the political discourse is driven by the nutcases rather than the moderates. As soon as either of these sides sees any kind of progress that imperils their extremist positions, they engage in provocations to undermine the progress. Of course it isn't helpful that foreign powers preferably cater to the nutcases on either side. Until that changes, you will see no peace in the middle east.

8. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I'd just like to point out that, being English, I consider Calais, Gascony and a fair bit of the South West of France as part of my historical homeland. (I do hope the French are in a mood for a compromise and won't get too upset at a bit of displacement.)

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So now attitudes and ideologies are all we need to go to war?

I hope it takes more than that.

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

You characterize a world leader's Israel-will-be-eliminated comment as an attitude?

Interesting. I wonder what you classify a world leader's troop buildup along a border. A fart?

11. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I see your point. But whilst (thought I'd use your local lingo) you may covet Calais, you do have an existing homeland, don't you?

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if our president is going to make time to meet with Netanyahu. He does seem pretty busy though with campaigning, Letterman and partying with Jay-z.

13. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Sure, I have no time for Ahmadinejad, or ideas about wiping out Israel.

However, I struggle to engage with this historical argument. Most of the settlers I hear on the TV have American or Eastern European accents. They don't already have a homeland? Just because they belong to a particular ethnic group they're entitled to someone else's land half way round the globe?

Take the land by all means but accept there's going to be consequences with the locals. And don't be surprised if the people you took it from aren't going to be very keen on compromise in the future.

14. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Just want to point out that it was the British Mandate of Palestine that ultimately led to the establishment of modern Isreal. So one may want to look to London if not happy with their existence.

15. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Yep, know the history of Israel reasonably well, (British Mandate, King David hotel, the Irgun etc etc). Certainly don't want to see them cease to exist or anyone there to get hurt. Just hope the loonies on both sides get reigned in. (I'm not convinced it will be the walkover or the precise 'surgery' that is being promised.)

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah, but that history ended 2000 years ago. The only countries that are currently over 2000 years old are Japan, and possibly China (although only by a small amount) - and China 2000 years ago was much smaller than China today.

2000 years is far too long to maintain a serious claim.

17. citizenzen, Sep 24, 2012

citizenzen macrumors 65816

That would actually be an action. And an action such as a troop build-up would constitute a real threat, as opposed to a politician spouting of in a speech, which for years has constituted an increase of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Edit: Thanks for the addition of an excretory bodily function in your post. That kind of rigorous intellectual stimulation is exactly what this forum's been missing.

:rolleyes:

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

**** Netanyahu. He's a war monger who is trying to inject himself into our election.

19. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Its not the most outrageous thing, but the fact that the UN is allowing Ahmadinejad to speak on the Jews most sacred holiday is a little rude. Especially considering the message.

20. Jackintosh, Sep 24, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Actually there are many more countries older than 2000 years - Egypt, Italy (Rome), Greece, Ethiopia.

I'm fairly neutral on this, but I'm surprised how many people here don't think that Israel has an inherent right to exist based on its historical and cultural claims to its current territory. Maybe you guys don't realize how close you are to Ahmadenajad on this than you really are.

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The current state of Israel is unworkable in its present form. They need to reboot at some point with either a two state system or an all-inclusive state that permits Palestinians to live as equal citizens. I don't think the loonie's comments were direct at Jews in particular as Iranians seem to have a good working relationship with their own Jewish community. Its various Israeli governments that have caused the problems. He's still a loonie, however.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Does the "current territory" you speak of include the Occupied Territories? And what is a "cultural claim"? And where do these rights place the Native American peoples? Colonialism is alive and well, it seems.

23. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

You need to put those questions to your local Israeli consulate. Like I said, I'm just the bringer of information from what I've heard in the news.