Ain't this a stupid stupid drawback of ios???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hakuna-matata, Feb 20, 2012.

1. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

First, i really like Apple products and don't hate them, Second, i urge you to actually read the whole post(i know it's a bit long) before forming an opinion.

I mostly use mercury web browser(much advanced than safari-a joke in this era of updated advanced mobile web browsers) but still i do find it very irritating when you are on a particular web page and you need to download some imp file or even a video/audio file. If you need to surf web you go to an app(mercury, in my case) and while surfing, if you need to download something you gotta find another app, open it, find the browser, go to that link which creates download and then you get to download that file.
    In other os, you simply have to press download(that's it - one touch) in your current browser. I don't understand why Apple Inc are so adamant to restrict everything to their own choice, i mean i hope they don't really think that people are happy with this feature, maybe 1-5 % ??? I mean if other web browser in ios have same features(and these can't be neglected they aren't minor features imo) why not do something about it, right?

I just hope Apple do something constructive about it. I really like my iphone and hope to see some nice changes..:):):)

2. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

You are so right haha!

If your dealing with iOS and you want to download or upload, you've hit to run back and forth from app to app like on a wild goose chase!

It's kind of hilarious. This is acceptable on a phone. This is not however, acceptable on a tablet, which is one reason I don't like the iPad.

And you still can't search for keywords within a webpage.

3. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

4. Gavernty macrumors 6502

you can search for keywords, you just type the word your looking for in the search box on top, then scroll to the bottom beneath the google searches, and it should say something like "on this page" and it will search for that word on the current page

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I prefer the security that the current arrangement provides. I use my phone for work and any security hole could be a problem....

6. hakuna-matata, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

hakuna-matata thread starter macrumors 6502

I suppose it's high time that instead of launching an universal cellphone model, Apple Inc need to launch atleast 1 more(max 2) new models directed towards dealing with what business and general category people demand from their most expensive cellphones..

7. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Nope. Fragmentation is the worst possible thing they could do. (I'm looking at you, Android!)

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes you can, get an iPhone/iPad and try it for yourself.

9. motoleo, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Oh, I learned something new today! Thanks!

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Cool story bro but I couldn't care less as I only use Safari. If you and others do care then pressure Apple to change things or switch platforms. Ranting here doesn't accomplish anything.

Where are you getting this figure from? Citation? Don't assume that your preferences are universal. Even if you rely on forum posts, forum users only make up a tiny fraction of the overall user base. Randomly generated "statistics" won't help your argument.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I would love to see an equivalent full browser on the iPad.
    Mercury and sky fire are my browser of choice.
    The biggest thing I find is the inability to select and alternative browser as the default.
    Seeing how my family and immediate relatives use the safari I believe apple has the vast majority of their user dead center of the crosshairs

12. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I generally like iOS. I really hate how apple doesn't allow some apps to truly integrate.

Your example of web browsing is one. Another is how clicking on an address won't launch anything other than maps..... When I could really use Navigon.

13. astrorider macrumors 6502

I just put a g in front of the URL in Safari's address bar and GoodReader downloads the file. I use GoodReader as the filesystem for my iOS devices, so this works great for me.