Air America goes belly up (bankrupt)

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
http://bigjournalism.com/fross/2010/01/21/breaking-air-america-ceasing-live-programming-this-afternoon/

Me> :D :) :p

This has been a banner week for the good guys. We broke the super majority, got a Republican elected to Teddies old seat (aka The Peoples Seat), we stalled the horrible healthcare bills, we got a nice USSC decision and now these libs have gone bankrupt.

I really need to renew my Rush 24-7 to celebrate this.

Their statement

t is with the greatest regret, on behalf of our Board, that we must announce that Air America Media is ceasing its live programming operations as of this afternoon, and that the Company will file soon under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code to carry out an orderly winding-down of the business.
The very difficult economic environment has had a significant impact on Air America’s business. This past year has seen a “perfect storm” in the media industry generally. National and local advertising revenues have fallen drastically, causing many media companies nationwide to fold or seek bankruptcy protection. From large to small, recent bankruptcies like Citadel Broadcasting and closures like that of the industry’s long-time trade publication Radio and Records have signaled that these are very difficult and rapidly changing times.
Those companies that remain are facing audience fragmentation as a result of new media technologies, are often saddled with crushing debt, and have generally found it difficult to obtain operating or investment capital from traditional sources of funding. In this climate, our painstaking search for new investors has come close several times right up into this week, but ultimately fell short of success.
With radio industry ad revenues down for 10 consecutive quarters, and reportedly off 21% in 2009, signs of improvement have consisted of hoping things will be less bad. And though Internet/new media revenues are projected to grow, our expanding online efforts face the same monetization and profitability challenges in the short term confronting the Web operations of most media companies
When Air America Radio launched in April, 2004 with already-known personalities like Al Franken and then-unknown future stars like Rachel Maddow, it was the only full-time progressive voice in the mainstream broadcast media world. At a critical time in our nation’s history — when dissent on issues such as the Iraq war were often denounced as “un-American” — Air America and its talented team helped millions of Americans remember the importance of compelling discussion about the most pivotal events and decisions of our generation.
Through some 100 radio outlets nationwide, Air America helped build a new sense of purpose and determination among American progressives. With this revival, the progressive movement made major gains in the 2006 mid-term elections and, more recently, in the election of President Barack Obama and a strongly Democratic Congress.
Laws have changed for the better thanks to this revival…..but all the same our company cannot escape the laws of economics. So we intend a rapid, orderly closure over the next few days. All current employees will be paid through today, January 21. A severance package will be offered tomorrow to full-time current employees with more than six months of tenure.
We will strive to assist affiliates and partners in achieving a smooth transition. Starting at 6 pm EST today, we will provide our affiliates, listeners and users a selection of encore programming until 9 pm EST on Monday, January 25, at which time Air America programming will end.
We are proud that Air America’s mission lives on through the words and actions of so many former radio hosts who are active today in progressive causes and media nationwide. In the years ahead, as we look back, we should all be proud of our passionate determination to assure that our nation’s progressive voice would be heard loud and clear. Through the hard work and dedication of current staff, and those who preceded you, a lasting legacy was forged which will now continue through other voices and venues.
Thank you.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
The real threat seems to be going strong, AFAICT. The right wing has failed in their efforts against the serious, entrenched, popular radio network.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't know how impeding a universal healthcare bill makes you a "good guy". I'm not saying it makes you a bad guy, but it definitely doesn't make you good.

Of course this is coming from the guy who thinks we need to deport all illegal Haitians as soon as possible even though they'd go home to rubble.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I think it was just bad programming. I'm quite surprised it lasted as long as it did.

The few times I listened to it, it sounded like they were stooping to Rush and Coulter's level.

I really don't like pig sty journalism and that's why I've never been a fan of Michael Moore.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
The few times I listened to it, it sounded like they were stooping to Rush and Coulter's level.

I really don't like pig sty journalism and that's why I've never been a fan of Michael Moore.
Exactly- liberals don't like these kinds of tactics, that's why it failed. Good riddance AirAmerica- RIP. We have no desire to become as repulsive as Rush Limbaugh.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
http://bigjournalism.com/fross/2010/01/21/breaking-air-america-ceasing-live-programming-this-afternoon/

This has been a banner week for the good guys. We broke the super majority, got a Republican elected to Teddies old seat (aka The Peoples Seat), we stalled the horrible healthcare bills, we got a nice USSC decision and now these libs have gone bankrupt.

For the good guys?:rolleyes: It's because of people like you that this country is so polarized and no progress is made.

Exactly- liberals don't like these kinds of tactics, that's why it failed. Good riddance AirAmerica- RIP. We have no desire to become as repulsive as Rush Limbaugh.
Here here.

Forsaken

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009

Their statement
It's actually worth celebrating when normal, perfectly human Americans lose their jobs?

You're sick.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I thought so too! I was like how cold of Full of It to be happy an airline failed.
Seriously I think I would be, the US has too many airlines and they are all not really profitable and there are too many flights over New York for example so you get loads of delays. One going bankrupt would probably be a good thing.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
The OP hasn't replies yet, which makes me think he's avoiding the subject . . . it's terrible for a company to fall, much less for the employees to be retrenched. :mad:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
I'd listened to it from time to time, and rarely heard anything as repulsive as Rush. Jerry Springer when he was on (of all people) was particularly fair and thoughtful, quite the opposite of the right's hate radio.

I do think it's instructive on why FOW is the way he is, when he posts sources for stories like this not from the Washington Post (which also had it) or any other legit news source, but from right wing propaganda blogs. I'm guessing if he's been listening to these kinds of sources for years and years, it goes a long way toward explaining how his views got so warped.

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
One of the freedoms of a free market is the freedom to fail. To be successful means having something to sell that folks want to buy.

Limbaugh has worked his way to successful selling to some 20 million people on a daily basis by having a desirable product. Air America lacked having anything to sell that anybody wanted. So, naturally, vox populi--and Air America went broke.

The whiny slurs against Limbaugh for being right-wing are reminscent of the whiny slurs against Liberace for being gay. Somebody commented, "Liberace is really upset by what people are saying. Why, he cries--all the way to the bank."

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
One of the freedoms of a free market is the freedom to fail. To be successful means having something to sell that folks want to buy.

Limbaugh has worked his way to successful selling to some 20 million people on a daily basis by having a desirable product. Air America lacked having anything to sell that anybody wanted. So, naturally, vox populi--and Air America went broke.

The whiny slurs against Limbaugh for being right-wing are reminscent of the whiny slurs against Liberace for being gay. Somebody commented, "Liberace is really upset by what people are saying. Why, he cries--all the way to the bank."
OK, so this is my opinion, so don't come back with your "source??" crap....

What I have noticed among my few friends who are right-wing conservative types, is that a large percentage of them follow right-wing media such as Rush and Fox News and all that stuff, to find out what the next thing they are supposed to go against is.

From what I know of my more liberal friends (which are a multitude more than my conservative ones), few, if any, of them follow liberal media. Why? Because I feel we don't need to be fed our thoughts...and really, most of us just don't ***** care.

Right-wing conservative types care a whole lot more about their agendas. I get the daily conservative videos posted all over my facebook from those few friends...I think I have rarely seen "liberal" videos posted.

And as for Full of Whack, has anyone ever seen him come back to a thread he has started? It's rare. Just a troll, really.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

No one cares about anyone being right wing. What concerns people are lies, ignorance and hatred. All of which Limbaugh promotes.

OK, so this is my opinion, so don't come back with your "source??" crap....

What I have noticed among my few friends who are right-wing conservative types, is that a large percentage of them follow right-wing media such as Rush and Fox News and all that stuff, to find out what the next thing they are supposed to go against is.

From what I know of my more liberal friends (which are a multitude more than my conservative ones), few, if any, of them follow liberal media. Why? Because I feel we don't need to be fed our thoughts...and really, most of us just don't ***** care.

Right-wing conservative types care a whole lot more about their agendas. I get the daily conservative videos posted all over my facebook from those few friends...I think I have rarely seen "liberal" videos posted.

And as for Full of Whack, has anyone ever seen him come back to a thread he has started? It's rare. Just a troll, really.

You hit the nail on the head. I agree with every point you made.