iPad Air: downloaded avi movie from sandisk wirelss flashdrive, where is it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jhun80, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Jhun80 macrumors newbie

I downloaded an unsupported movie file (avi) from my wireless flash drive, but i cant find it. I have file manager but cant find it there. I also have player extreme but i cant find the file either. Now i only have 3Gb free on my ipad 'coz i downloaded the movie 2x! I wanna delete the file but cant find it!

2. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Try a hard restart: press power and home button at the same time, until it shuts down. In the worst case, you can simply erase the tablet. Don't back it up first, and set it up as a new device.

3. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Best user experience in the biz. Your experiences do not count OP.

/s

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Do a hard reset. By the way; you uploaded it, not downloaded it...

5. Jhun80, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

Jhun80 thread starter macrumors newbie

I erased the tablet, good thing i just made a backup yesterday.

Im a newbie on IOS, is there any way to browse files like file explorer? Whats the recommended file browsing app?

6. jdag macrumors 6502a

The file would have been in the Sandisk WiFi app before you reset your iPad.

7. Jhun80 thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't there. It's an AVI file, which is not playable on a default video player app. Was planning to use an avi player app, (player extreme) but can't find it there too.

8. Jhun80 thread starter macrumors newbie

"Downloaded" it!

[​IMG]

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There's no file browsing app like in a computer. Apps on iPad are sandboxed -- they can only see files in their own "directory." I don't know why the Sandsik app isn't showing the avi file, but if you want to get an avi file into a media playing app that plays non-iPad compatible media formats, your best bet is to somehow transfer the file directly to that media player app. Or convert the file to mp4 before putting it onto Sandisk. What you are trying to do will at best create two copies of your file on your iPad (one in Sandisk app and one in your media player). There is also a file size limit to copying files from one app to another, so if your file is too large, it won't transfer at all.

10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

That is wrong terminology. I see this being quite a common mistake...

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

"Up" is going away from you, "down" is coming towards you. If you are on a computer and sending a file to an iPad, you are uploading it to the iPad. But if you are on the iPad, then the file is being downloaded to the iPad.