iPad Air: downloaded avi movie from sandisk wirelss flashdrive, where is it?

Jhun80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
I downloaded an unsupported movie file (avi) from my wireless flash drive, but i cant find it. I have file manager but cant find it there. I also have player extreme but i cant find the file either. Now i only have 3Gb free on my ipad 'coz i downloaded the movie 2x! I wanna delete the file but cant find it!

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Try a hard restart: press power and home button at the same time, until it shuts down. In the worst case, you can simply erase the tablet. Don't back it up first, and set it up as a new device.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I downloaded an unsupported movie file (avi) from my wireless flash drive, but i cant find it. I have file manager but cant find it there. I also have player extreme but i cant find the file either. Now i only have 3Gb free on my ipad 'coz i downloaded the movie 2x! I wanna delete the file but cant find it!
Do a hard reset. By the way; you uploaded it, not downloaded it...

Jhun80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Try a hard restart: press power and home button at the same time, until it shuts down. In the worst case, you can simply erase the tablet. Don't back it up first, and set it up as a new device.
I erased the tablet, good thing i just made a backup yesterday.

Im a newbie on IOS, is there any way to browse files like file explorer? Whats the recommended file browsing app?

Last edited:

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
The file would have been in the Sandisk WiFi app before you reset your iPad.

Jhun80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
The file would have been in the Sandisk WiFi app before you reset your iPad.
It wasn't there. It's an AVI file, which is not playable on a default video player app. Was planning to use an avi player app, (player extreme) but can't find it there too.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Im a newbie on IOS, is there any way to browse files like file explorer? Whats the recommended file browsing app?
There's no file browsing app like in a computer. Apps on iPad are sandboxed -- they can only see files in their own "directory." I don't know why the Sandsik app isn't showing the avi file, but if you want to get an avi file into a media playing app that plays non-iPad compatible media formats, your best bet is to somehow transfer the file directly to that media player app. Or convert the file to mp4 before putting it onto Sandisk. What you are trying to do will at best create two copies of your file on your iPad (one in Sandisk app and one in your media player). There is also a file size limit to copying files from one app to another, so if your file is too large, it won't transfer at all.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That is wrong terminology. I see this being quite a common mistake...
"Up" is going away from you, "down" is coming towards you. If you are on a computer and sending a file to an iPad, you are uploading it to the iPad. But if you are on the iPad, then the file is being downloaded to the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.