Air Force Throws Away Remains of Dead Soldiers in The Trash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eljanitor, Dec 8, 2011.

1. eljanitor, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'm more disgusted how soldiers are treated as disposable when they are alive.

3. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

They cremated the remains and then incinerated the cremated ashes. What should they have done with the resulting fine ash?

4. eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Not throw them away in a landfill with the garbage for starters. Did you read the article? Some family members had no idea what happened to the remains of their loved ones, to find out they were thrown away like garbage literally. This is a disgrace.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really, dude? We can't do better that dumping ashes in a landfill?

OP- How about adding the word remains to the thread title?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Misleading title...

They cremated remains that could not be identified into a landfill though now they changed it to dumping them at sea

It is not as if they are taking private Joe and throwing him in a dumpster.

7. geekgirl macrumors regular

8. eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Done

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right, this wasn't a body, but rather parts.

The thought that soldiers are coming back in pieces is really the appalling part of this story.

Obviously, there's a better way, but I think the reaction is driven by the thought that, as you said, they're dumping Private Joe's ashes into a dumpster.

It's more akin to the biohazard bin at the back of a hospital.

10. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Well, what are you gonna do with an arm you can't figure out who belongs to, or whose owner has deceased?

It's brutal, but actually a real situation.

11. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I think people in leadership positions should anticipate potential reactions to processes they develop. Ceremoniously disposing of them at sea (from an aircraft carrier perhaps) or finding a way to dispose of them at a national cemetery. How do you rise to the level of a person making these decisions and not see the potential reaction to putting the ashes where we put our TRASH!?

12. macinnv macrumors regular

I think the military should factor that in war they will receive remains that they cannot identify and establish a memorial site where they can rest the ashes there.

13. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Of course, throwing it in the trash does give off some bad vibes. I suppose it's not a big deal to just cremate it and disperse it at sea, or shouldn't be.

But one should be able to be a little pragmatic about it.

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

[​IMG]

(Yeah, I know I'm going to burn for this, but I could not resist. :D)

They should set up some sort of clearing-house for unidentified remains. You'd think with DNA technology being what it is, identification should no longer be a problem for any remains that aren't already cremated in situ.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

For real?

A landfill is just one huge dumpster...

Disgraceful...

They could've just spread the ashes at the nearest Military Cemetary...

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-1574...ers-dumped-in-virginia-landfill-27530281.html

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Ummmm, what if it turns out that some of those remains aren't of American soldiers?

I'm not so sure that every gram of every corpse needs to be DNA identified. War by definition is messy. I do think they should show a little more respect and dispose of the ashes more respectfully, but then hospitals just incinerate the extra bits and pieces and probably just toss it in the land fill as well.

This is just faux outrage to assuage American guilt over all the Americans who were killed and maimed in Afghanistan and Iraq. Wars that don't seem to have accomplished much.

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Is that exhausting, Ugg? From a distance, it seems like it would be very fatiguing. Maybe it's easier than I realize.

18. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

FTFY. Don't know why someone in the chain of command never considered that option.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yeah that is my though on it.
    It is making something out of nothing. It would be common practice at hostiptals to do the same thing with parts they could not id or bits left over. To them they are medical waste. Same thing here.

I do like how they change the policy to do deal with the waste to a more respectful manner.

It is not like they are doing this for entire bodies.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not spread, but an unmarked grave, able to receive additional ashes, over time.

Ahem, 'military intelligence'??

21. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

We're not in the SAS regimen anymore men.

22. eljanitor thread starter macrumors 6502

eljanitor

The only problem I have with this is that when someone is blown up, or dies in a crash etc and there is very little to recover there is very little to send back home. So if a leg or an arm is all they can find and say yep this is Sgt so and so. They then took that leg and incinerate it and throw it in a land fill. So yes in some senses this may be all that's left of private Joe. When most people join the armed forces in the USA you are guaranteed a military burial.

This leads to the part of the story where the widow of one of the soldiers inquired about her husbands remains and was told they don't know what they did with it. These are people who volunteered to go give their lives in a war, the way the remains were treated is disrespectful to those who served as well their families.

They deserve better then what happened, and yes a sea burial is better. I'm glad that after two years they did that, but why and how did that take two years to do as well? Dead or alive they served this country and they deserve to be treated with some sense of respect. Even prisoners that die in jail, and the unidentified homeless people that die each year on the street get a grave, and a burial.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's unfair. And, I feel similarly. A story like this gets far more airplay than, for instance, Chris Hedges "The Body Baggers of Iraq."

A relevant passage:

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That is much more disturbing then a few ashes in a bin. I have to agree with Ugg.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

A leg they would run DNA on. But a finger for example that would just go out in to the trash.