Airbnb listings removed from illegally occupied territories

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Many oppose and many agree. According The the UN Mandates those territories are illegally occupied. Those territories are considered illegal and disputed. I know in the US during a dispute no one party can sell something and take funds of profits from it. If you were getting a divorce could you sell your house or business while in court and take all the funds?

This boycott and sanctions thing is rather interesting but aside from interesting quite often is full of biased double standards and hypocrisy. Seems to be ok to Boycott and sanction Russia,Syria,Iran,Palestine,Libya,Iraq and companies along with businesses but when it happens in illegally disputed territories of which are illegally occupied that does not seem to be ok. Perhaps bring in a smear campaign of discrimination and anti-semitism in this to try and put an end to it.

Should Airbnb have the right to choose where it does business and where it does not internationally or not? Is it up to them to decide or others to decide?

https://qz.com/1469966/israel-lashes-out-over-airbnb-removal-of-west-bank-listings/

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Seems fine to me. Their platform, their rules. Somehow I do not think that many hardliners in the Israeli government like following rules, or laws for that matter. I understand while the people of Israel feel vulnerable, and I support their legitimate security interests, but sometimes it seems like their government is out of control.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
Airbnb is a private business (albeit crowd-sourced). A government like Israel can or cannot tell them how to run their business, or where to do business.

Israel is apparently angry because the "pullout" seems to hint at Airbnb's acknowledgment of "occupied territory" designation. Whatever.

If I was the Chick-Fil-A franchisee and I closed shop on my only Chick-Fil-A restaurant in Brooklyn, does that make me anti-Semitic? :rolleyes:

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
So. Two things: at least someone is leaving occupied territory, and at least the rent wont skyrocket there now. There is a tongue firmly planted in cheek btw...

Reactions: arkitect

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Seems fine to me. Their platform, their rules. Somehow I do not think that many hardliners in the Israeli government like following rules, or laws for that matter. I understand while the people of Israel feel vulnerable, and I support their legitimate security interests, but sometimes it seems like their government is out of control.
Israel has become an interesting case of the oppressed becoming the oppressors.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Ultimately as with every country, the citizens ultimately are responsible for whom they voluntarily place into power.
True but when people are on the religious side it is easy to be forced to be on board with the religious extremists. This by the way goes for all the countries in the Middle East especially when government parties consist of religious extremists. When ever one combines religious extremism with political power quite often that is a recipe for disaster or so history has shown in the Middle East.

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
True but when people are on the religious side it is easy to be forced to be on board with the religious extremists. This by the way goes for all the countries in the Middle East especially when government parties consist of religious extremists. When ever one combines religious extremism with political power quite often that is a recipe for disaster or so history has shown in the Middle East.
The USA could eagerly elevate Mike Pence to the Presidency, and then we can have State Religion of Fundamentalist Christianity in the States as well! A wonderful recipe for disaster borrowed from the Middle East. ;)

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
Who runs Beverly Hills now?
Maybe it's still Mayor Jed. Jed Clampett.

LOL of all the stupid things that Beverly Hills city council could take issue with…. it had to be this. You'd think that BH would have more local and relevant issues to tend to…. like where they will buy and cater this year's caviar to feed the homeless in Los Angeles.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I wouldn’t have a problem with this if Airbnb was universal in its restriction of renting in occupied territories. They have not however restricted rentals in Crimea, Tibet, or Turkish occupied Kurdish villages. Perhaps more disturbing is reportedly they are only banning rentals in Israeli occupied territory by Jewish landlords (according to the NY Post). Evidently if you’re Muslim or Christian it’s not a problem to rent. That looks a lot like anti-Semitism to me, whether it’s intended or not.

As a Jew I dont like the word “antisemitism” getting thrown around so casually. While Airbnb’s policy certainly appears antisemitic, I don’t necessarily think it was their intention. The term “antisemitism” implies intention in my understanding. Israel garners a lot of international attention while many other countries occupying territory generally go ignored. I assume and hope Airbnb is simply ignorant of world affairs, which I find is usually the case in matters like this. So I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Airbnb either needs to make their policy apply to all people of all occupied territories or reverse their policy on Israel. They may be a private entity and allowed to do as they wish, but I don’t see that as a justification to parktake in what looks an awful like ethno-religious discrimination.

Not that I think I’d ever employ a service like Airbnb (I generally prefer hotels myself), I would not use their service until appropriate changes either way are made. Again, I respect their political stance, but it needs to apply across the board and not single out a single group of people in a single country.

Last edited:

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I wouldn’t have a problem with this if Airbnb was universal in its restriction of renting in occupied territories. They have not however restricted rentals in Crimea, Tibet, or Turkish occupied Kurdish villages.
I fully support Airbnb on this because those are illegally occupied territories and perhaps they do not want to profit from illegally earned money. Russia on the other hand received sanctions by the US over what it considered Crimean occupied territories by the Russians (talk about turning a blind eye and double standards or hypocrisy perhaps due to bias within the US administration which is heavily influenced by AIPAC). Although I support you on your point that policies should be applied equally amongst all nations and countries although we are now asking them to do something the US doesn't normally do.

Perhaps more disturbing is reportedly they are only banning rentals in Israeli occupied territory by Jewish landlords (according to the NY Post). Evidently if you’re Muslim or Christian it’s not a problem to rent. That looks a lot like anti-Semitism to me, whether it’s intended or not.
This is because it is not the Muslims or Christians that have illegally Occupied these territories and it is not the Christians or Muslims that are sending complaints to AirBnB.
[/QUOTE]

As a Jew I dont like the word “antisemitism” getting thrown around so casually. While Airbnb’s policy certainly appears antisemitic, I don’t necessarily think it was their intention. The term “antisemitism” implies intention in my understanding. Israel garners a lot of international attention while many other countries occupying territory generally go ignored. I assume and hope Airbnb is simply ignorant of world affairs, which I find is usually the case in matters like this. So I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Airbnb either needs to make their policy apply to all people of all occupied territories or reverse their policy on Israel. They may be a private entity and allowed to do as they wish, but I don’t see that as a justification to parktake in what looks an awful like ethno-religious discrimination.

Not that I think I’d ever employ a service like Airbnb (I generally prefer hotels myself), I would not use their service until appropriate changes either way are made. Again, I respect their political stance, but it needs to apply across the board and not single out a single group of people in a single country.
I don't think it is anti-Semitism here that is applied because this is over an area disputed by Israel and Palestine. Jerusalem is holly to Christians,Jews and Muslims. If one of the parties is religious and has extremists amongst its people is called out on something that they are doing illegally against International law does not make them Anti-Semitic (although I do 100% support you that policies should be applied equally to all countries). I can't agree with you 100% on this though as if you go to Airbnb and look for properties in Iran or Syria (just to name 2 of them) you will see that there are no listings so as you can see it is not just the illegally occupied territories here that are being opposed so sorry to say but I don't agree at all with the Anti-Semitism of Airbnb over this.

E88679CB-5A80-4AA2-B2F2-97A813E436DE.jpeg
20FF62F8-FEA5-42B9-B9F9-E44DA09B069A.jpeg

Reactions: AvisDeene

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Maybe it's still Mayor Jed. Jed Clampett.

LOL of all the stupid things that Beverly Hills city council could take issue with…. it had to be this. You'd think that BH would have more local and relevant issues to tend to…. like where they will buy and cater this year's caviar to feed the homeless in Los Angeles.
Not sure, but the guy is a jackass.
Generally I don’t think local governments should involve themselves with matters like this. I’m not sure why you would condem people who are condemning what they perceive as antisemitic policies.

@stylinexpat would you agree with a local government participating in BDS or boycotting goods or services produced in an Israeli territory?
[doublepost=1543274905][/doublepost]
I fully support Airbnb on this because those are illegally occupied territories and perhaps they do not want to profit from illegally earned money. Russia on the other hand received sanctions by the US over what it considered Crimean occupied territories by the Russians (talk about turning a blind eye and double standards or hypocrisy perhaps due to bias within the US administration which is heavily influenced by AIPAC). Although I support you on your point that policies should be applied equally amongst all nations and countries although we are now asking them to do something the US doesn't normally do.
Again, I don’t disagree with the idea the occupied territories should be restricted from Airbnb, but it has to universally applied. I think your logic here is a bit flakey. I don’t see how a governments sanctions have anything to do with the ethical stance Airbnb is trying to take. Are you suggesting if the US put sanctions on Israel because of their settlements then it would be okay for Airbnb to rent there? I think not. Regardless of whether a country has sanctions or not AirBnb is still profiting and the affected indigenous people gain no benefit.

This is because it is not the Muslims or Christians that have illegally Occupied these territories and it is not the Christians or Muslims that are sending complaints to AirBnB.
In fact there are a number of Christians and Muslims who live in occupied territories in Israel. I know several gentile families who live in settlements. As we’ve talked about before perhaps primary reason people move to settlements is because the real estate is far cheaper.

I don't think it is anti-Semitism here that is applied because this is over an area disputed by Israel and Palestine. Jerusalem is holly to Christians,Jews and Muslims. If one of the parties is religious and has extremists amongst its people is called out on something that they are doing illegally against International law does not make them Anti-Semitic (although I do 100% support you that policies should be applied equally to all countries). I can't agree with you 100% on this though as if you go to Airbnb and look for properties in Iran or Syria (just to name 2 of them) you will see that there are no listings so as you can see it is not just the illegally occupied territories here that are being opposed so sorry to say but I don't agree at all with the Anti-Semitism of Airbnb over this.
As I said before I don’t think this is intentional anti-semitism, it just comes off as appearing to be because of Airbnb’s own ignorance. I think Airbnb does not serve Iran and Syria because they are dangerous places and not reccomended to travel to by the US State Department. I imagine it’s hard to be insured in places such highly unstable governments. Would you run a travel business to a place that’s a highly dangerous active war zone with occasional accusations of chemical warfare taking place?

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Generally I don’t think local governments should involve themselves with matters like this. I’m not sure why you would condem people who are condemning what they perceive as antisemitic policies.
This is where bias plays a role

@stylinexpat would you agree with a local government participating in BDS or boycotting goods or services produced in an Israeli territory?
[doublepost=1543274905][/doublepost]
The US supports Boycotts and Sanctions and currently has many imposed on others around the world so if the government here in the US does this to others then yes I do but this depends on what you or one considers Israeli territory. Israel has not declared its borders to the UN and anything past the 1967 lines is disputable.

Again, I don’t disagree with the idea the occupied territories should be restricted from Airbnb, but it has to universally applied. I think your logic here is a bit flakey. I don’t see how a governments sanctions have anything to do with the ethical stance Airbnb is trying to take. Are you suggesting if the US put sanctions on Israel because of their settlements then it would be okay for Airbnb to rent there? I think not. Regardless of whether a country has sanctions or not AirBnb is still profiting and the affected indigenous people gain no benefit.

In fact there are a number of Christians and Muslims who live in occupied territories in Israel. I know several gentile families who live in settlements. As we’ve talked about before perhaps primary reason people move to settlements is because the real estate is far cheaper.
Of course it is cheaper and cheaper for many reasons. If you take something away from someone and create conflict in that area then there will be problems in that area and where there is trouble prices are naturally lower. When an area has been under Apartheid rule for a long period of time and has illegal trade embargoes imposed upon it then real estate value in that area is going to be quite cheap. Tel Aviv is not cheap and not cheap for a reason because it is safe, is not under Apartheid rule and has full freedom of trade. Those cheap Palestinian Territories have no access to trade from the sea as they have no port and no access to an airport as they have no airport. They also are limited to travel and trade due to walls and fences built around them.

As I said before I don’t think this is intentional anti-semitism, it just comes off as appearing to be because of Airbnb’s own ignorance. I think Airbnb does not serve Iran and Syria because they are dangerous places and not reccomended to travel to by the US State Department. I imagine it’s hard to be insured in places such highly unstable governments. Would you run a travel business to a place that’s a highly dangerous active war zone with occasional accusations of chemical warfare taking place?
I am saying that there are double standards when it comes to Boycotts and Sanctions due to biased people in charge of what is ok to Boycott and Sanction and what is not which is very obvious.

All of Syria and all of Iran are can not be served by Iran and not all of Syrian and all of Iran are dangerous. Iran is actually perfectly fine and perfectly safe. I don't see how the illegally occupied territories in Palestine are any less safe compared to Iran or parts of Syria.

If I spend money on a ticket to fly some where I want top go some where I can enjoy my time and have fun. Do not wish to fly some where where there is conflict and trouble. Damascus at the present time seems to be ok along with some other parts of Syria and pretty much most of Iran seem to be ok.

Reactions: AvisDeene

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The may here is using a pretty damaging accusation based on speculation. Air BnB decided not to allow business involving settlements in the West Bank. He suggests that this is just a subtle way to express antisemitic views. It isn't just a complaint about Air BnB's actions. It assigns a narrative to them. I have commented on other similar things.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Evidently if you’re Muslim or Christian it’s not a problem to rent. That looks a lot like anti-Semitism to me, whether it’s intended or not.

The territory is occupied by Israel, with Jewish-only settlements. Naturally any bans targeting these illegal settlements primarily target the Jews who are the ones occupying.

The Christian and Muslim Palestinians living in the West Bank are the indigenous population and stateless.

Airbnb is 100% correct is banning rentals in illegally occupied territories in the West Bank and should be commended for it. You cannot hide behind the label of "anti-semitism" to absolve all wrong doing in what is essentially an ethnic conflict over territory.

Last edited: