Airdrop doesn't...airdrop

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
When I open Finder, click on GO, then select Airdrop I get the airdrop icon in the middle of the resulting screen with two short sentences explaining what airdrop does. What I don't get are the two hyperlinks that are shown on examples I've seen elsewhere with options regarding the reception level I want, etc. That convinces me that Airdrop isn't working on mhy MBP.

It appears there is some setting somewhere that is not activated on my 2011 MBP that allows Airdrop to actually work.

Suggestions, recommendations....thanks for whatever you've got to offer me on this issue.

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2017
It would be nice to explain what are you trying to do :)

This are supported Mac's

AirDrop system requirements
To send items to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or to receive items from those devices, you need a 2012 or later Mac model with OS X Yosemite or later, excluding the Mac Pro (Mid 2012).

To send items to another Mac, you need:

• MacBook Pro (Late 2008) or later, excluding the MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2008)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010) or later
  • MacBook (Late 2008) or later, excluding the white MacBook (Late 2008)
  • iMac (Early 2009) or later
  • Mac Mini (Mid 2010) or later
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203106

If You wont to transfer photo from iPhone/iPad, you need to activate Bluetooth and WiFi (have to be on the same network) on Mac and other iDevice and be sure that option to be discovered for everyone is enabled.

Last edited:

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
I am trying to get the complete basic Airdrop screen on my MBP so I can transfer a photo from my MBP to my iPhone SE. Both my early 2011 MBP and my iPhone SE are Airdrop compatible. It appears my iPhone is configured correctly, but not my MBP. My MBP Airdrop screen has only the Airdrop icon and two short sentences telling me what Airdrop does. It does not have the two hyperlinks that configure Airdrop. How can I get them to appear on that screen so I can go forward.

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2017
Restart both iPhone and Mac, turn on WiFi and Bluetooth on both devices, open Finder and go on the AirDrop on the left side, click on the photo on mac (right) and go to share and choose AirDrop.

GuilleA

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I am trying to get the complete basic Airdrop screen on my MBP so I can transfer a photo from my MBP to my iPhone SE. Both my early 2011 MBP and my iPhone SE are Airdrop compatible. It appears my iPhone is configured correctly, but not my MBP. My MBP Airdrop screen has only the Airdrop icon and two short sentences telling me what Airdrop does. It does not have the two hyperlinks that configure Airdrop. How can I get them to appear on that screen so I can go forward.
2011 MBPs do support AirDrop, but not 100%. You can send and receive from other Macs, but not to and from iOS devices. 2012 and up support both Mac and iOS endpoints.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
2011 MBPs do support AirDrop, but not 100%. You can send and receive from other Macs, but not to and from iOS devices. 2012 and up support both Mac and iOS endpoints.
Good to learn on this occasion and in this forum that there are (hopefully many) very active Apple users in Argentina :) like you!
Cordials saludos a un porteño de un ex Montevideano ;)

Reactions: GuilleA

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
When I open Finder, click on GO, then select Airdrop I get the airdrop icon in the middle of the resulting screen with two short sentences explaining what airdrop does. What I don't get are the two hyperlinks that are shown on examples I've seen elsewhere with options regarding the reception level I want, etc. That convinces me that Airdrop isn't working on mhy MBP.

It appears there is some setting somewhere that is not activated on my 2011 MBP that allows Airdrop to actually work.

Suggestions, recommendations....thanks for whatever you've got to offer me on this issue.
My 2011 used to show it, I had to select the "to see an older Mac..." link, now its stuck in older Mac mode and no links to get back. It has so far survived all upgrades (EC->S->HS) and all my attempts to find a prefs file or similar causing this... :-(

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
That's discouraging. You are the only person who said anything like this, but makes sense to me, so thanks! Googling, YouTubing and other sources didn't provide the info that you did.

Thanks again.

Reactions: GuilleA

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Ugh - from here:

https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT203106

• If you're sending to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • Your Mac needs to be a 2012 or newer model with OS X Yosemite or later.
    • The iOS device must be using iOS 7 or later and have Personal Hotspot turned off in Settings > Cellular. "
Dead right, not sure why mine initially showed the options then "discovered" it didn't support the feature Lol

GuilleA

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
That's discouraging. You are the only person who said anything like this, but makes sense to me, so thanks! Googling, YouTubing and other sources didn't provide the info that you did.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. It sucks, I know. I believe it's because Apple changed the method AirDrop negotiates the initial discovery and handshake via Bluetooth and then performs the actual transfer via Wi-Fi Direct. Is this specific protocol the 2011 and under MBPs do not support unfortunately.

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Workaround for me is to put a folder in my iCloud Drive called..."Airdrop" and access that via Mac or Files app in iOS 11 - works like a charm...