AirDrop isn't working on my 5s AT ALL.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viperGTS, Oct 19, 2013.

1. viperGTS macrumors 68000

It's rather frustrating. I made sure that my 5s and my friends 5 both have AirDrop enabled to "everyone" and both WiFi and Bluetooth are enabled. I'm trying to AirDrop photos.

Neither of our phones show up to the other one. I have already reset network settings as well, neither phone shows up to the other. I have already tried to AirDrop multiple phones, still to no luck.

Any clue as to why this is happening?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Make sure you and your friend have each other as contacts with correct phone numbers and email addresses.

3. sandwicher macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both phones need to be inside the photo app / unlocked.

4. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I think you just need "everyone" enabled, but OP already did that so I am stumped...

5. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

I don't think this is needed. When "Everyone" is selected, it should work like bluetooth and should be able to see nearby iDevices with AirDrop enabled too. I also tried this feature between my MBP and 5S and it's not working.

6. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

Airdrop is for mac-to-mac and iOS-to-iOS only at the present time I'm afraid so your MBP will not talk to your 5S in any case.

7. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

Aww..pardon my ignorance. I stand corrected. :)

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

i have two iphone 5 models and i can get airdrop to work about 50% of the time. sometimes it just takes a little bit to connect. and sometimes it's super quick but that doesn't happen much.

9. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 68000

Could it be that I have a faulty Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chip? My friends can AirDrop to each other. I'm left out. :p

10. blue43fan macrumors regular

The screens of both devices must be on in order for Airdrop to work. If either device is locked, it will not work. However, it will work from the lock screen. After receiving the file, the phone will take you immediately to the correct app.

11. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 68000

Both devices were on.

12. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 68000

Still not working. Should I get a replacement at the apple store?