Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Searching why I couldn't AirDrop IP6 to MBP and found this support doc:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5887

Check out this quote:

"You can't use AirDrop on iOS to share with OS X users, and OS X users can't use AirDrop to share with iOS devices."

Really? And this doc was updated on 10/15/2014

revanmj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Poland
Yeah, but it only works with newer Macs (that have Bluetooth 4.0). Owners of the older ones still can't use it.

I wonder why they suddenly need BT for this, it worked without it before and apps like Instashare also work fine without it.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Yeah, but it only works with newer Macs (that have Bluetooth 4.0). Owners of the older ones still can't use it.

I wonder why they suddenly need BT for this, it worked without it before and apps like Instashare also work fine without it.

Well said. I have a Late-2011 MBP and it doesn't work. The document I posted said it uses both Wifi and BT, but I guess Yosemite changed that.

misterclutch

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2014
I have an iPad air and iPhone 5s. I also have a macbook pro 13 early 2011. Now with the previous OSX and IOS versions airdrop just works with both IOS devices. I found out that you can airdrop a file to a mac as long as you have IOS8 and OSX mavericks installed on your iOS device and computer. I installed OSX Yosemite earlier today. I tried airdropping a photo on my mac. They won't see each other. Bluetooth is enabled on my mac and iPad. I also tried using my iPhone it's still the same thing. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Looks like it works between my newest model MBA and my completely-outdated-will-someone-spot-me-$300-for-a-new-model iPad Air. The shame of this feature is MAN we could use this at work all the time. I cannot tell you how much crap floods my email inbox because it's the only technology some people can handle. There is one person who basically uses it as an instant messenger app and writes messages in the subject lines. So yeah, cluttered email.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I have an early 2011 MBP and it won't won't work with my 5s. I suspect that bluetooth 4.0 is required, which means I would have to upgrade my laptop. I guess I won't be using Airdrop then.

misterclutch

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2014
I have an early 2011 MBP and it won't won't work with my 5s. I suspect that bluetooth 4.0 is required, which means I would have to upgrade my laptop. I guess I won't be using Airdrop then.

i hope they figure this out.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA

This seems to be the case based on what I've read on other sites. Apple could really help us out by stating this on the features page.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Can someone help me out? My 2012 Retina MBP detects my iPhone 6 through AirDrop and is able to send files to it, but my iPhone 6 cannot find the MBP. Both devices are set to be visible to everyone. What am I missing?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Apple should consider making AirDrop wifi available if on the same network between Mac and iOS. And all this handoff/continuity stuff using BT. Why? Wifi is better and has full range instead of 30+ feet.

Think about it..... in a large office I leave my iPhone at my desk. I have my Mac with me in a meeting across the building. Need to AirDrop a doc to my phone. Nope, too far away.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.