Airline employee who stole plane highlights insider threats

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by masterbaron, Aug 14, 2018.

1. masterbaron, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018

masterbaron macrumors 6502

masterbaron

Here: https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/2c387d64-1ba9-3ecb-8f2e-6c16fba12b8f/ss_airline-employee-who-stole.html

What's happening?

It's as though the personal battle with the "Id - Ego - Super Ego" has become the theater for the world.

How?

"Empowerment in the moment" combined with the ability to "communicate massively or directly" impacting others to do the same like a "virus"!

A tear in our societal fabric has been ripped and may never be sewn back - we are bleeding-out our emotions and actions without the tactile responsibilities and consequences ... thus a vapid society that judges things based upon likes, follows and mob mentality.

The reality is we are facing our "true" reality which is ... from moment to moment we never know and that has always been the case but our technological limitations made it seem as though the world was more often "normal" than not.

"We" are the "insider" threat!!!

The "smart" devices ... converged communications ... instant access ... and most importantly the power of thought and it's ability to affect others has been weaponized and unleashed upon the world.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Thought I would leave you a little feedback
    I read your post 3 times
    And I read the link you posted as well (only once cause I understood it)

I still have no idea what you are really trying to say

3. masterbaron thread starter macrumors 6502

masterbaron

That's Ok ...

If there were no smartphones, internet and global communications the world would be a better place!

The reduced version.

4. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

5. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502

I disagree. Many things can be used for enhancing peoples lives or ending them. I can buy a knife to butter my bread, I can use the same knife to stab someone. I can drive a car to facilitate me getting around easily, I can use the same car to run people over. I can use my tech for entertainment and education or I could use it for many bad things. Smartphones, internet and global communications are tools, its up to us the users how we use them.

6. masterbaron thread starter macrumors 6502

masterbaron

What I'm referencing are the internal changes in the way we process information - the amount and speed of the uptake of that information ... the way we form opinions and set priorities ... how we interact and the accessibility of "too much" information ... the way some place the ether in preference to the actual world ... and the wrong information falling into the wrong hands.

Many if not most atrocities today are "enabled" by way of technology. I admire and "used to" obsess over technology ... I get it ... way too much of it!

7. ChrisChaval, Aug 14, 2018

ChrisChaval macrumors 6502

ChrisChaval

wrong thread, sorry

and I was wondering what all of you guys were talking about ... ;)

everyone off topic except for me lol

8. cube macrumors G5

No need to overreact, planes have been stolen before.

9. masterbaron, Aug 14, 2018

masterbaron thread starter macrumors 6502

masterbaron

Exactly!! ... But now we question "why planes don't have keys or keypads" and then we move on from there ... in several more years there will be more things locked down and "inclusion" of personal information will come with that ... and thus more vulnerability as we seek to reduce it ... this is the vortex of the condition.

The more granular (high resolution) we become the more control is needed.

Ignorance "was" bliss and now the arc of capability exceeds the arc of sensibility!

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is not a new idea - if memory serves, Arthur Koestler explored it some decades ago in a book called "The Ghost In The Machine".

The technology will be adapted as needed and useful - and we will adapt to how it changes society and lives - but the period of transformation and change may well be very unsettling for some and beneficial for others.

11. masterbaron, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018

masterbaron thread starter macrumors 6502

masterbaron

Yes ... evolution is eventual and at some point we will merge with technology in order to survive our own disarray and the harm we create along the way. I would love to be positive about these changes but when looking at the world events the catalysts to many of the preventable tragedies and events are the very technologies we embrace.

Overcoming the negative aspects that attend these advancements is the real challenge and more often than not the potential negative impact lurks and accumulates until it has made it's viral impact.

More specifically the quality of life has been impacted in some of the most intimate ways - in some of the most intimate places called home and the car as an example ... and then ... should mankind evolve in absence of "spiritual evolution" that is all at once a step by step process through life and yet a leap of faith and outreach - mankind will be diminished amongst 1's and 0's.

No sermon ... no opinion on rebuttal ... simply a feeling!

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have alway said that we can have thousands of TSA agents at the airport looking at passengers but the real security threat are the people in the back of the house. From baggage handlers to maintenance workers. These are the people that virtually go unchecked. This guy was able to run across the tarmac and get onto an unattended plane. Imagine is that had been a terrorist?

13. cube macrumors G5

His job included towing planes, he was not just anybody.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Didn't you watch '24' the sleeper dudes are always the ones you least suspect. Im Sure they handled a plot line like this.

15. cube macrumors G5

No.

16. VivaLasVegas Suspended

VivaLasVegas

Anyone who works in a sensitive area at the airport is required to have a Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) Badge. These baggage handlers and maintenance workers are heavily vetted as are the pilots and flight attendants but pilots and flight attendants don't always have a SIDA badge unlike baggage handlers and maintenance workers. As a pilot I am limited to the vicinity of the aircraft I am working such as a walk around. But I have seen flight crews walk across the ramp to save time if connecting to another aircraft which is really not supposed to be allowed. However some airlines flight crews have SIDA badges for the airport they are based at..
    Just to give you an idea about what is and what isn't SIDA[​IMG]