Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its Apple Watch event on March 9, Apple highlighted several apps that will be available on the Apple Watch, including an app from American Airlines, which will let users receive flight information, check in for their flights, and more.

americanairlines-800x499.jpg
Since then, several other airlines have also announced upcoming apps for the Apple Watch, giving us a hint at some of the ways the Apple Watch will be used to make our lives easier. British Airways, for example, has just announced a British Airways app for the Apple Watch, which will be available beginning on April 24.

Through a glance option, which is accessed by swiping right on the watch face, the British Airways app will display a summary of a customer's next flight, offering details like flight number, flight status, a countdown to departure time, and the weather at the destination. All of that information will be available at a single glance, preventing users from needing to rifle through emails and open up apps to access flight details.

The app will also support on-wrist check-ins for flights, and it will deliver notifications to direct users to their appropriate gates. At certain airport terminals, such as Heathrow's Terminal 5, users will receive welcome messages powered by iBeacon.

britishairways-800x286.jpg
British Airways' Apple Watch app
Earlier this week, VentureBeat asked several airlines about their plans for Apple Watch apps, which yielded information about two upcoming apps from Delta and United. The Delta app that's in development will deliver notifications about flights to users ahead of their flights, and it will give them access to the boarding pass stored on their iPhones.

Like the apps from other airlines, it will offer flight numbers, gate numbers, flight times, and other info. If a flight gets changed, for example, users will get a notification on their Apple Watch. There will also be a notification when a flight is approaching a destination city, with information about luggage pickup.

deltaapplewatch.jpg
Delta Apple Watch app, image courtesy of VentureBeat
United Airlines wasn't prepared to share app screenshots of its upcoming Apple Watch app, but it did divulge some details about it. The app will offer at-a-glance information on upcoming flights, including gate numbers and status, plus it lets users view their flight reservations within the United Airlines Apple Watch app. It will also pull a traveler's boarding pass from the Passbook app, and it's able to alert users if flight times or gate numbers change.

Southwest and Virgin America told VentureBeat they were not working on Apple Watch apps at the present time, but the two airlines, along with other airlines, will likely create apps as they see their competition developing apps for the device.

The Apple Watch will become available on April 24, with pre-orders beginning on April 10. Developers have been hard at work putting the finishing touches on apps ahead of the launch, with many even flying out to Cupertino for guidance from Apple, so there should be a wealth of third-party apps available to consumers right on launch day.

Article Link: Airlines Embrace Apple Watch With Upcoming Apps

NeutralGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
I hope these airline apps will have the option to automatically send me a heartbeat to gently remind me with 'It's boarding time, come fly with me!".

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Shouldn't all boarding passes in passbook automatically work with the watch without third party watch apps?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apps for scheduled things, like flights and movies, are killer watch apps, IMO. When I see apps like this, I catch myself thinking "Maybe if I just spend $350 on generation one it'll be okay..."

But I don't have even $350 to burn right now, and generation two is always much better than generation one, so I'll let the rest of you work out all the bugs for me.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder if they'll make you put the watch in airplane mode.

#1 - The :apple:Watch doesn't have any particularly strong radios on it. Just BT, I think, which only has a range of a few feet.

#2 - I don't think the :apple:Watch has an Airplane Mode, does it?

Edit: I've been told I'm wrong on both accounts. The Apple watch app mentions an airplane mode and further, it has wifi.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just remember if this becomes too popular & convenient airlines will start charging a fee.:D. (Fondly remembering the days when front coach seats didn't have and extra $30-40 surcharge.)

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
...but the two airlines, along with other airlines, will likely create apps as they see their competition developing apps for the device.

Ha! Yeah right! Southwest didn't support Passbook for years! And when the finally did, it was such a convoluted piece of garbage that you can't even get your boarding pass to show on the lock screen!

I have absolutely no faith in Southwest to come up with even a half-way decent watch app. (Their airline service is starting to suck too).

Modernboy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
An Apple TV remote Apple Watch app would be welcome.

There is:
3FvtDpL.png

As for Virgin America, they still don't have an iPhone app, but their web app is passable and they do use Passbook for boarding passes. I assume any boarding pass you have on your phone can be accessed on your :apple:Watch. It would be nice if the passes they used were dynamic though. I have yet to have one auto update gate or baggage information.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
#1 - The :apple:Watch doesn't have any particularly strong radios on it. Just BT, I think, which only has a range of a few feet.

Probably not, it was meant as a joke. But with the airlines, nothing would really surprise me...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I’m actually surprised to see that much interest in the Apple Watch ecosystem, even though it may not become all that popular. Meanwhile, Windows Phone and BlackBerry are left in the dust. Apple’s brand identity continues to be remarkably strong.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014

Unless I am horribly mistaken, I'm sure the Apple Watch has WIFI.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
They left out the part where I have to take off the watch to go through the metal detector, and the TSA agent steals it.

(Yes, metal detector, because I have pre-check. I'm not waiting in the long line so I can keep my watch on.)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Good to see airlines jumping on this, and also positive to see that wearables might have a positive future, question is, will it make it past the fad phase, time will tell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.