Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
First, let me say that YouTube works & HBO GO works (flawlessly). However, when using the Video.app (provided by Apple), AirPlay does not work. I have several videos purchased from iTunes. When I try to AirPlay them, only the sound gets sent to the TV. This is true for any video content (movies, music videos, etc.) when using the Video.app on an iOS device.

If I use mirroring, then it works fine (video and sound). Therefore, I know my connections and WiFi are set correctly. I've googled this issue, and it seems several people are having this issue. I'm curious if I can get some feedback from others on whether or not you're having the same issue and/or discovered a fix.

I have the latest software installed as of today w/a 2nd & 3rd generation ATV. AirPlay does not work with my iPad 2, iPhone4, iPhone4S, or iPhone5. In all these cases, only the sound is sent to the ATV (both the 2nd & 3rd gen models) while the video plays on the iDevice. When I select mirroring then the video is displayed on the ATV.

As an aside, AirPlay works fine when using any of my Macs and the same purchased iTunes video content.

Can anyone else chime in and let me know if you're having this issue? I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work.

It seems to be isolated to the iOS Video.app AirPlay feature because YouTube and HBO GO work just fine from the same devices to the ATV.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
iPhone 5 iOS 6.1: Using a purchased music video I tapped the AirPlay icon and was given the choice of my Apple TV and 3rd party AirPlay speakers. Selecting the Apple TV sent only audio until I turned on mirroring. Because I was initially given the options of my speakers I believe it's working as designed, e.g., audio only unless mirroring is enabled.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Thanks, but that is not by design. AirPlay used to work with the Video.app

Even Apple claims videos can be streamed via AirPlay. Something is amiss.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
UPDATE:

So if I stream a movie via homesharing from my iOS device it will not AirPlay the video (audio only). However, if I download a movie in its entirety to my iOS device, then AirPlay it works fine. There is no need to ever homeshare to the iOS device then AirPlay to ATV since I can just stream from the computer to the ATV. However, this initially led me to believe movies didn't AirPlay correctly either.

Further troubleshooting caused me to download a movie in its entirety to my iOS device. It works! So a completely downloaded movie plays fine with AirPlay. Music Videos do not. Music Videos act like normal music does when using Airplay. By this I mean, only the sound is sent to the ATV while the video plays on the iOS device.

I'm assuming this is how Apple wants to treat MUSIC videos. It treats it as music instead of videos. This matches up with iTunes storing music videos in Music and not in "Movies" or "TV Shows". However, music videos are also kept in the "Video.app" on iOS devices.

To me this is very strange behavior because a music video is a "Video." If I choose to AirPlay it, I want all the content to stream to the ATV (not just the audio). The work around is through mirroring.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
What "Video.app" that Apple supplies are you referring to ?

This one. What behavior do you get when AirPlaying Music Videos?

Attachments

• IMG_3224.jpg
    IMG_3224.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 236

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Yea, I was getting annoyed trying to airplay a movie from my ipad using a movie that was currently downloading and it would only do the audio. It is a limitation with the HDMI and basically it comes down to the studios being jerks from what I have read. If you do download the entire video it will play perfectly.

I guess you don't really need to be able to airplay from the ipad if you have apple tv, but I like being able to use my media however I prefer.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Yea, I was getting annoyed trying to airplay a movie from my ipad using a movie that was currently downloading and it would only do the audio. It is a limitation with the HDMI and basically it comes down to the studios being jerks from what I have read. If you do download the entire video it will play perfectly.

I guess you don't really need to be able to airplay from the ipad if you have apple tv, but I like being able to use my media however I prefer.

Yeah, movies have to be completely downloaded to the iOS device for AirPlay to work (at least for me).

What kills me is music videos only stream audio via AirPlay. To get the actual video on the TV you have to use mirroring. Apple should really fix this. I mean AirPlay is one of their touted features. Why limit music videos to audio only?

rocoloco

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
I don't want to open a new thread for my newbie question:

With airplay speaker system or normal dock speakers, can you only play music from default iPhone/ipad apps like Music and iTunes, or it works also when playing from youtube, radio apps,... ?

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I don't want to open a new thread for my newbie question:

With airplay speaker system or normal dock speakers, can you only play music from default iPhone/ipad apps like Music and iTunes, or it works also when playing from youtube, radio apps,... ?

Any app (3rd party included) that supports AirPlay will allow you to stream audio and/or video. So, if you have an airplay speaker, you can stream the audio of YouTube (because it supports AirPlay) to the speakers. Some apps don't support. HBO Go just started supporting AirPlay a few weeks ago.

stevcb

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
First, let me say that YouTube works & HBO GO works (flawlessly). However, when using the Video.app (provided by Apple), AirPlay does not work. I have several videos purchased from iTunes. When I try to AirPlay them, only the sound gets sent to the TV. This is true for any video content (movies, music videos, etc.) when using the Video.app on an iOS device.

If I use mirroring, then it works fine (video and sound). Therefore, I know my connections and WiFi are set correctly. I've googled this issue, and it seems several people are having this issue. I'm curious if I can get some feedback from others on whether or not you're having the same issue and/or discovered a fix.

I have the latest software installed as of today w/a 2nd & 3rd generation ATV. AirPlay does not work with my iPad 2, iPhone4, iPhone4S, or iPhone5. In all these cases, only the sound is sent to the ATV (both the 2nd & 3rd gen models) while the video plays on the iDevice. When I select mirroring then the video is displayed on the ATV.

As an aside, AirPlay works fine when using any of my Macs and the same purchased iTunes video content.

Can anyone else chime in and let me know if you're having this issue? I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work.

It seems to be isolated to the iOS Video.app AirPlay feature because YouTube and HBO GO work just fine from the same devices to the ATV.

I am also having the same issues with Airplay. Sound but no video, my own video shot with my iphone. Airplay used to work great, but those days seem to be gone. Apple did something that ruined the process, as I have not changed any preferences and now it does not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.