Airplay icon? It's a no-show on my iphone running 4.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LuthersBoots, Nov 12, 2010.

1. LuthersBoots macrumors member

Morning all, I need a couple of things clarified about Airplay.
    For starters, it aint working on my iphone 4. I am on the same network as my ATV2, I know this for sure because the remote app works just fine with the ATV2. But when playing a a clip I took, I activate the multitask bar by double clicking the home button and swipe until I see the volume slider, but there is no icon!
    Do I have to have an 801.11N router instead of a G to make this work? Mine is a G.
    DO I have to activate something in the menus?
    I look forward to your reply.

2. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

I heard its gone now and not available everywhere in the playback controls as in the past.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I believe you need an airport express or a airport extreme attached to your network for this to work. (I may be wrong)

4. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

You need iOS 4.2 on your ATV for it to work as far as I know...

5. LuthersBoots thread starter macrumors member

Woahhhh, this is becoming even more and more complicated.
    I Thought, I'd buy the new ATV for £99 and plug it into my existing network and stream stuff from my phone - simple.
    At least that's the way apple are marketing it. It never once said about and additional Airport exp or Aiport Ext purchase.
    I dont mind waiting I guess, as the ios update looks like it's gonna be next week, but I have seen vids on the net of people who have the functionality now (although somewhat limited to audio only)
    Just want to make sure I've got everything set-up right when this bad boy goes live.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

Like I said I may be wrong, but I have tried using airplay on my home network without an airport device between my iPad an iPhone as I thought it could work between them from what I understood from the keynote but I couldn't get an icon to show on either of my devices on any of the betas.

7. shandyman Suspended

as far as i knew it was just an apple tv needed you don't need the airport express or extreme with it. but until the update for the ATV2 you can only stream audio to it for now. the icon should be on the play/pause part of the player, unsure why you haven't got it tho. sorry

8. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

i've used Airplay on iOS4.2 GM on iphone4 to play music on my appletv.... works fine.

the airplay icon shows up on the standard play/pause bar.
    the icon only shows up though when a supported airplay device is detected.

video doesn't work yet, (only the audio plays) an update to appletv will be reuqired for video to work.

9. LuthersBoots thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys. Not sure why the icon is not showing up on my phone. Very strange.

10. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

have you tried the obvious things like rebooting the appletv and your router ?

11. LuthersBoots thread starter macrumors member

Yep, rebooted both, still not present. Bummer.

12. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I have this problem as well... iPad on 4.2 shows my two airport expresses, but the iPhone 4 on 4.2 doesn't show them.

13. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

iPad to iPhone is not supported.

it's basically just iPhone or iPad to Apple TV or Airport Express stuff.

14. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Guys, I downloaded the GM for my iPad yesterday, and I have been having intermittent issues with the Airplay icon disappearing. I'm running 10.6.5, and iTunes 10.1. I also have a Time Capsule.

Haven't been able to find a way to consistently reproduce it yet. I suspect this may be one of the things that they're working on getting fixed before public release.

15. LuthersBoots thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE: Working

Hi all, feel a bit daft really, but was fooling around with my apple tv yesterday and noticed the airplay option for remote speakers in the settings was left unchecked!
    TA DA! The airplay icon shows up.
    Oh dear.

Thanks for all who took the time to reply, I'll report back if I'm having intermittent issues.

LB