Airplay monitor mirroring/extended display

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by hat-rack, Jun 27, 2013.

1. hat-rack macrumors newbie

Will Airplay extended display in Mavericks work on a late 2008 Macbook Pro (current machine) or a 2013 Macbook Air (possible purchase) where by you are using the:

• Laptop display
    • An external 2560 x 1440 screen
    • Airplay extended display to an Apple TV

So you can have three screens?

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Airplay is available only for the Macs made in 2011 or later.
    (via apple.com)

3. Meyvn macrumors 6502

2008 MBP no (requires Sandy Bridge or later chipset), 2013 MBA yes.

Yes, you can have three screens in this way. Though, FYI, you can also have three screens on the 2008 model by using a $10 service app called AirParrot that does the same thing, but works even for Snow Leopard. Takes up more CPU power, but it works.

However, if you don't already just have an AppleTV laying around, and you're seriously considering buying one just to have a third screen on your Mac, don't. Buy a USB DisplayLink device instead. It's not going to be as good as your native displays, but it's still much better than AirPlay mirroring or extended desktop.

4. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I agreed. It works well enough for extending the display to play 1080p video through an Apple TV 3 on a TV in front of my treadmill, but it would be annoying to use as a full-time display. It's just laggy enough to be annoying when you're moving the mouse around or moving windows around. But it's imperceptible on video. I used to just mirror the second display and play the video, but now I can just extend the desktop.

5. greedy.mf macrumors newbie

D

hat-rack, any luck?

I've got similar task - to use two external displays (HDTV and 1920x1200) with my Macbook Pro (early 2011).

For a couple of years I was quite happy with my setup - HDTV connected via HDMI (using HAMA Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter) solely for movies.
    Recently I bought an ASUS 24'' monitor for better Logic Pro X workflow.
    For now I just have to connect TV and monitor instead one another. Not a big deal, but fiddling with cables every time I go from movies to applications and back is annoying, frankly speaking.

A bit of googling gave me an understanding that the only way to connect two external monitors by wire is to use Apple Thunderbolt Display. Which is not an option in my case, since I already bought one (and Apple's is quite pricey, to be honest).

So I thought that it might be possible to implement a setup similar to

And main question is: will OSX be able to use all three displays simultaneously?

If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.
    Unfortunatelly I cannot test by myself and simply have to buy Apple TV. So I really need to know that it's a justified investement.

Thanks in advance!