Airplay question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by B6DWAL, Sep 5, 2012.

1. B6DWAL macrumors newbie

B6DWAL

Hey,

I recently bought my macbook around a month or two ago after finally making the move from Windows. Now before on my Windows laptop I used a program called SharePort which acted as a iPhone to laptop airplay alternative. With this I could play a song on my iPhone and select my laptop and the music would then play from my laptop speakers.

I was under the impression that the SharePort software was only needed because I was using Windows, and therefore it should automatically work on my Macbook. I am connected to the same Wi-Fi network, however there is no Airplay icon on either my phone or Macbook. Ive tried Googling the problem but theres only manuals for using it on Apple TV. Maybe im missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

What OSX are you running? If you have a 2011 or newer and are using mountain lion it comes with airplay built in. If not, you can use a program called Airparrot for Airplay mirroring. It does cost $9.99 I believe.

3. B6DWAL thread starter macrumors newbie

B6DWAL

I am running Mountain Lion, and I have the new Mid-2012 Macbook Pro...

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

oh i just realized you are not trying to use appletv....for computer to phone or vice versa use an apple called "Airvideo" They have a free version i think and the full version is only $2.99

5. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

I believe you can pair the macbook and iphone via bluetooth and play music on the macbook speakers that way.