Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
NB if they do not 100% seal off the outside air they are 100% useless at sound cancellation. The older AirPods are already really good for music so if the new ones don’t do the job intended they are a waste of money. Google how sound cancellation works if you don’t understand this.

Not true. Even with failing the fit test I get a very real and noticeable reduction in ambient noise as soon as I put them on, even without music playing. If I sit in a room with a fan running, the droning noise is immediately gone once I put in the AirPods Pro.

Last edited:

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Mine have gone back because I couldn't get a good seal. It's all very well suggesting the app is flawed but I could hear a distinct difference between the odd occasion I got a seal and when the app said they're not sealed.

If someone else makes a larger tip, I'll buy them again.

Reactions: mtrctyjoe

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Mine have gone back because I couldn't get a good seal. It's all very well suggesting the app is flawed but I could hear a distinct difference between the odd occasion I got a seal and when the app said they're not sealed.

If someone else makes a larger tip, I'll buy them again.

yeah it seems Apple's solutions are always half baked. The original airpods, like any other similar earbud, only fits a percentage of the population that have a defined grove in their ears, used to essentially hook the bud in place.

The whole audio industry found solutions some time ago, but using triple or double silicone tips and the more advanced foam or even custom tips.

Apple decided to use the single silicon tip which is pretty useless for most people to make a good seal unless your ears are tiny, which happens to coincide with the people who were most likely to be able to use the original airpods.

What was the big deal with using foam tips? most high end brands give you the option of using either silicon or foam tips.

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2016
Like someone else above, all 3 tips form a good seal on my ears. I found this thread because I was looking for others like me. Ha. I realize this is mostly the opposite. But, for those of us who have all 3 sizes making a seal, what size have you settled on? I've tried a different size each day. The small seems to be the most comfortable, but I'd swear they sound better with the large tip (possibly because the seal is even tighter?). I don't feel like I get great bass on the small size at all, but in the large, they sound amazing. Anyone else notice that, or have I created this own narrative in my head? The large are not as comfortable as the small - so I'm torn on which ones to use. If everyone says I'm just crazy, I may go back to the small and see if I'm just imagining the sound difference.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Like someone else above, all 3 tips form a good seal on my ears. I found this thread because I was looking for others like me. Ha. I realize this is mostly the opposite. But, for those of us who have all 3 sizes making a seal, what size have you settled on? I've tried a different size each day. The small seems to be the most comfortable, but I'd swear they sound better with the large tip (possibly because the seal is even tighter?). I don't feel like I get great bass on the small size at all, but in the large, they sound amazing. Anyone else notice that, or have I created this own narrative in my head? The large are not as comfortable as the small - so I'm torn on which ones to use. If everyone says I'm just crazy, I may go back to the small and see if I'm just imagining the sound difference.
Since you get the green with all sizes I would go with the tips that give the most comfort and best sound. For you it probably is the medium. I don’t get the green seal with any of them unless I press the large size into my ears. If I don’t press them in I detect some sound leakage. I want to keep them but, may just return them and wait to see if Apple makes any improvements down the road.

Jason 976521

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
I have sent my iPhone logs and other possible details to apple engineers department and this think the problem is with AirPods itself and I did test in Genius Bar today there is no problem with it and they erase my iPhone it’s solved but after I change my iPhone text sizes the bugs occur again.

try change your text smaller you will find it changed

Lobinho

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2019
I bought a second pair of AirPod Pro's after I never passed the seal test with the first pair and I returned it. The first time I took the new ones out of the box with the medium tips on I passed the seal test. I tried the test several times and they remained sealed ... until I took them out of my ears. I didn’t manage again to pass the test with the medium tips. Back at home I tried with the large tips. At first they worked. A few times in and out not anymore. I feel that there is an issue with the tips. Ones they are used they don’t seal anymore. 2nd pair went back to the store as well.
A friend of mine got his own pair of Pro‘s and passed the test even with the small tips and with the other sizes as well. One later small tips don’t work anymore for him. Large sized tips still do. I think there is something wrong with the quality of the tips.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I bought a second pair of AirPod Pro's after I never passed the seal test with the first pair and I returned it. The first time I took the new ones out of the box with the medium tips on I passed the seal test. I tried the test several times and they remained sealed ... until I took them out of my ears. I didn’t manage again to pass the test with the medium tips. Back at home I tried with the large tips. At first they worked. A few times in and out not anymore. I feel that there is an issue with the tips. Ones they are used they don’t seal anymore. 2nd pair went back to the store as well.
A friend of mine got his own pair of Pro‘s and passed the test even with the small tips and with the other sizes as well. One later small tips don’t work anymore for him. Large sized tips still do. I think there is something wrong with the quality of the tips.

ACtually you might have a point - the first few uses of my airpods pro were great and I got a good seal, as per the app. Not anymore.

dhowartr

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
Same story here. Initially I had a good seal on right and left. After a few days, only a good seal on the right. Then both failed. Returned the first pair--Apple Store replaced them. Second pair was good. Initially. Passed the fit test on right and left. Now, 4 days in, both sides fail the fit test. Medium tips seem to be a good fit. At least I think so:) But not according to the fit test.

Lobinho

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2019
I think it is related to the tips. I really hope that soon there will be additional tips by Apple or by other manufacturers that will fit better and constantly. In my opinion the tips should be a tiny bit longer in order to have better seal. For the moment I won’t try another time a new set of APP.

rhsauer

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2006
I don’t think this is related to the tips — I think there’s a problem with the fit test itself. I’ve now had four (4!) pairs of AirPod Pros and each one passed the fit test regularly for the first few days, and then started failing — first one side, then both. The pattern is consistent and repeatable.

I exchanged the first two pairs of AirPod Pros after they started to fail the tip test, and both the pairs of APPs I received in exchange also passed the fit test consistently for a few days, and then started to fail. Now both of the pairs I still have fail every single time. In each case, the fit hasn’t really changed (they seem pretty well sealed), and the ANC and sound also haven’t changed. I would hope that a firmware update or a new iOS version will fix this.

If those of you who have had the APPs for a week or more (and for whom the ear tip fit test initially passed) could please redo the fit test and let us know if your AirPods still pass, that might be illuminating. Thanks.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Agree. I can’t imagine the silicone can deteriorate that fast. Must be a flaw in the test software

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
But how can the test software work for a while and then stop working. The software doesn’t change. The only thing that can change is deterioration of physical materials.
My AirPods have to go back because of a fault with the hinge on the case but I have used the large tips for a week and a half every day and had a good seal every time

wavesm

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2019
One more with the same issue.

Fit was excellent the first few days even when running. Now they get lose just while walking fast.

I think the silicone is too thin and shape deteriorates easily.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Let’s see how Apple handles this. Maybe a 3rd party will be a solution?

todd.kilby.7

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2017
Took mine back yesterday. I tried to make them work for two weeks. Always started with a good seal that I hear and see on the phone but after about ten minutes I could feel the left one lose it’s seal then the test would confirm it. Hope they can fix this because I loved them when they sealed properly.
[automerge]1573733198[/automerge]

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I think it is related to the tips. I really hope that soon there will be additional tips by Apple or by other manufacturers that will fit better and constantly. In my opinion the tips should be a tiny bit longer in order to have better seal. For the moment I won’t try another time a new set of APP.

The only ever silicon tips that worked well for me were the triple ones from Etymotic research. Anything that has one silicon layer is pretty much useless for me. For any other headphones/earbuds I've been using comply foam tips for a number of years with great success.

mk5_450_v1.jpg

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Yea. tried several replacements, all with the same results. Im starting to believe that there must be some kind of light coating on the tip the deteriorate after a short period of time.

rhsauer

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2006
The tips deteriorating seems very unlikely to me. I’m hoping it’s a firmware issue (and sorry the latest firmware update didn’t fix it). I’m worried, on the other hand, that the interior microphones fail after a short period of time causing the test to fail. I wish Apple would address. To me the fit feels unchanged, and the sound and ANC feel about the same.

I’m still interested in whether others find that the fit test passes when the earphones are new, but then starts failing consistently after a few days.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Mine passed the fit test the first day. Now the left one passes the test every time and the right one fails every time even if I push it into my ear while running the test. The sound and ANC don’t seem to be affected no matter what the test results.

Jeremy3292

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Can anyone share which size tips the test recommended for them? It suggested I used the large ones, which I was surprised to see. I mean I guess in theory the larger the tip the better the seal? Felt like the small ones went "into my ear" better...

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I've had mine since the day they launched and at that time, I was able to use all three sizes and pass the fit test. Now, 17 days later, none of the sizes will permit me to pass dispite how much I adjust them. But, like others have said, I can't tell a difference soundwise. I find it particulaly odd that the small and the large sizes, which I only tried on a few times, also fail to pass, so I'm not inclined to think the tips have degraded in some way, so it's eother my ears or the Airpods themselves. I'm now three days past the period I can return them, althought I might be able to make a fuss and get to anyway, but is it worth the hassle? Should this even be something to even worry about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.