AirPods Pro 2C54 Firmware: Worse Noise Canceling, Improved Frequency Response and Bass Accuracy

brucewayne

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
What really irks me is that they slightly boosted to volume in "transparency mode" to try and "trick" you into thinking the ANC works really good if you do a comparison. The extra loud "transparency mode" makes the now diluted ANC mode "seems" so quiet, because they made the transparency mode so darn loud! Try "off" compared to transparency mode or simply take it out of your ear in transparency mode for a more accurate comparison.

Just bring back the "good" ANC and turn down the transparency volume a bit, please Apple.
Exactly what I am experiencing. In transparency mode I can hear a clock ticking from another room. The noise cancelling is no where near as good as it was before, and I have odd popping / 'creaking' sounds that float between the two headphones.

I've gone back to my wf-1000xm3s at home until they get it fixed.

Reactions: Senfinger

supergt

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
I knew it sounded worse! That being said I did what everyone should have done and went to https://www.apple.com/feedback and reported it there instead of coming to the forums and claiming the end of Apple was near.
I agree with submitting feedback but it was the persistence of members here and on the Apple support forum that brought the mainstream attention this issue needs to get a solution.

This despite the many naysayers who said it was a perception problem, that Apple would never reduce the ANC, and some that still maintain it works perfectly. Yes it’s still good but not the greatness we experienced with the initial firmware of the product release.

crsh1976

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
I don't own a pair yet, but I'd still take better sound quality vs better noise cancelling. In most situations I need to hear some background noise anyway plus they are earbuds and probably already seel off a decent amount of noise. But hopefully the next firmware gives us the best of both worlds. :)
Then why buy the Pro model? Adaptive noise cancellation is the major feature the Pros have over the regular Airpods (which induce some basic noise cancellation by sealing off your ear canals).

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005
Then why buy the Pro model? Adaptable noise cancellation is the major feature the Pros have over the regular Airpods (which induce some basic noise cancellation by sealing off your ear canals).
The APP's have significantly better sound quality than the standard AirPods while also offering noise cancelling. The regular Airpods have essentially zero noise cancelling. I consider them to be completely open.

• Love
Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I recommend them. They took me about a week to get used to as they are heavier than the original AirPods. I still think the originals are more comfy but the ANC (when working correctly) is worth the trade off. I work in a hellishly noisy office and these are a godsend.
Thanks, I am happy with the normal wired EarPods apple makes, but using wireless and have ANC would really make a difference in many of my use cases. Will get a pair and hope apple irons out the bugs

Reactions: chrono1081

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
How did you deal with the short battery life?
Well for range and practice sessions they have been great and I don't have to worry about it.

For the one round of golf I have played it was great also I was done in 3 hours 15 minutes so didn't have to worry. I am playing Friday but again I don't want to golf for more than 4 hours so hopefully never stretch them out by placing them in the case for a hole but that will definitely work.

gluckett

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
Unfortunately your exchange won’t likely help. The poor ANC started with the mid November firmware update and the inventory is now on that update. We need to wait for a software fix.
I misread the first time. Nevermind.

IIGS User

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2019
Not a fan of ear buds. Didn't like the old Sony headsets with the thing that stuck in your ear back in the 90's either. Something about sticking something in my ear.

And I'm certain I would lose at least one of them along the way. I went with a pair of Bose OTE noise cancelling headsets. They work great, especially when flying, or to drown out the other drones working in my building.

Then again, I have my own office. A sort of throw back in these times. When I started, I had to share one with another person. Now I have two windows.

Overlooking a chemical plant.

That failed a year ago Thanksgiving, and made national news shutting down traffic on the East coast.

Does this thing get the emergency alert system? ;)

canyonblue737

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
The ANC is way worse than before... I travel with these in back of airplanes all the time and it dropped off with the November update and never recovered with the December update. It still works well enough to be a huge improvement obviously over regular AirPods and when playing music with background noise you still hear very clearly... where you really notice the difference is when you use the AirPods Pro ONLY for ANC and don't play anything at the same time... you can clearly hear much more background hiss and rumble on an aircraft than before. Still good, but they traded like 30% of the ANC for perhaps 5% better bass/sound quality... not a good trade for me. I'm sure a further update is coming, perhaps with some form of compromise.

truthertech

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2016
That's Apple in general though to be honest. They make great products, but they're definitely not pro consumer.

LOL. LOL. LOL. They are the largest and most valuable consumer product company in the entire world! Amazing that they were able to achieve that by being so anti-consumer. They have more subscriptions then anyone in the world, have almost a billion customers, etc., etc.

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2018
Where the hell is their quality control? Seriously this is ticking me off now. So my Airpods took the December 16th update without my knowledge and ever since I started experiencing Popping/crackling sound from the right airpod, took it to Apple store and their “Genius” started blaming me that this could be a water damage, but luckily their manager was nice and replaced that Airpod under warranty. Now again today AirPods took this update without my approval and off course we are back to step 1 again.
So, your complaint is that there’s nothing wrong with the hardware whatsoever... just a minor temporary software glitch, yet you scammed the Apple store out of a brand new unit- & now you’re upset why again?

I imagine that if you could get a free brand new laptop from Microsoft, every time you encounter a software bug, you wouldn’t be cursing that company.

Mutepointer

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2018
That’s the beauty of software updates. Apple has the customers money and now has reduced the quality. I am not surprised at all.

Will Tisdale 🎗

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Selby, UK
It’s weird. I had the original firmware and from day 1 I was quite disappointed with the bass clipping / distortion. Especially on tracks with a lot of sub bass. Then over Christmas I didn’t hear the clipping any more and thought they sounded great. I thought I had ‘broken them in’. Didn’t notice the difference in noise cancellation (and I travel on the tube!)
Yeah same here. There was also quite a lot of wishy washiness at the very top end, making them sound like the source was a 128k mp3, but only when noise cancellation was enabled. This improved with the second firmware update, then regressed with the third.
I tend to use them with the noise cancellation off now, which defeats the object. Haha.

Jon20001

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2017
iPhone: 38.961334,-77.006119
Just returned from the Apple Store. No exchanges in stock, but ordering new R/L earpieces. Will see if they come with the old firmware. The Genius mentioned that she had heard this issue before, and had noticed it herself. Unfortunately, I purchased on the Apple Card, so there is little consumer protection (unlike Amex where I could just return them or complain to Amex and receive a credit).

MacInDawg

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Where the hell is their quality control? Seriously this is ticking me off now. So my Airpods took the December 16th update without my knowledge and ever since I started experiencing Popping/crackling sound from the right airpod, took it to Apple store and their “Genius” started blaming me that this could be a water damage, but luckily their manager was nice and replaced that Airpod under warranty. Now again today AirPods took this update without my approval and off course we are back to step 1 again.
How recreationally outraged of you! lol

• Haha
Reactions: Will Tisdale 🎗

Pipper99

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I wish that I could swap these APP (I got them from Walmart under their holiday return policy, so I can return through January) in the hopes that another might have the older firmware, but of course, no one has them in stock

j3x

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
So I wasn’t tripping when I started hearing more noise while noise cancelling is on. Here my stupid self thought it was because I changed ear tip sizes between medium and small