Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Ok, i have a very silly airpods question. I see airpods in so many people's ears everywhere i go.
Silly question:
is everyone listening to music with them? and if so, are they streaming it over data connection? and if not, are they downloading songs in advance with a subscription to apple music? Just wondering how best to accompany the aiprods i just bought, and it seems that everyone must have spotify or apple music also (???)

please educate me!!!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not a true wireless user, just old school Bluetooth earbuds, but I'm listening to podcasts I've downloaded to the phone while out running errands. Taking the occasional call.

And, yes, guessing others are streaming, what with unlimited plans, and some cell service companies not counting that against caps.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
i just dont quite understand what everyone is listening to, unless they have a music subscription. in the old days, people would get mp3s but those days are over i think so i just assume people have playlists or podcasts? I guess that means that we have to find good podcasts or pay for music subscription?

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
i just dont quite understand what everyone is listening to, unless they have a music subscription. in the old days, people would get mp3s but those days are over i think so i just assume people have playlists or podcasts? I guess that means that we have to find good podcasts or pay for music subscription?

Well most use Apple Music or Spotify or Amazon Music or other streaming services by now. I on the other hand still like to manage my music library myself. I import MP3s from bought CDs (or i just download them off YouTube tbh) and i cut and tag the MP3s myself. It's nice to have your own library of songs you love and you can still sync them with your phone. And there is zero internet required once they are on your phone. I don't know, i have always done it that way. When i started using iPod touches and iPhones Apple Music wasn't even available, that came later on.

Reactions: TokMok3 and Lyn2012

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Spotify has a free tier. And there are so many good podcasts I could listen for what feels like a lifetime and never get caught up.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
in the old days, people would get mp3s but those days are over i think so i just assume people have playlists or podcasts? I guess that means that we have to find good podcasts or pay for music subscription?
No, in the old days, we would buy LPs and play them on our turntables while looking at the album art. ;)

If some snot-nosed teenager wants to stream rap over cellular data from Tidal, I really couldn't care less. Or if some chick is listening to podcasts about cats. Or streaming NPR. Or listening to audio from their favorite sports team's game. Or participating in a conference call.
I couldn't care less about any of those things, either. Unless, that is, they were doing any of those things while STANDING ON MY LAWN. ?

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
No, in the old days, we would buy LPs and play them on our turntables while looking at the album art. ;)

Au contraire, in the old days we would listen to Mr Edisons marvelous phonograph and marvel at how the music was magically produced by the wax cylinder.

Oh how Mater and Pater were impressed when at first they heard Mr Watson's voice from inside the machine!

Now, you'll have to excuse me, there is an oik trespassing on Mama's Petunias that I simply must vacate afore she does. It simply will not do!

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Music. Podcats. Audio books. What is there to understand? If you’re in too much of a boomer-mindset to adjust to streaming music, just download the songs you want onto your iPhone.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I like this question!
I've been a radio presenter over the years starting in pirate radio and a DJ since I came out of there womb.
For me, I've been using iTunes since 2002 and have everything that I love in it. All downloads with 99% bought as individual tracks from iTunes and one or two ripped imported CDs like the 12" 1983 version of Gary Byrd and the GB Experience - The Crown! or the 12" version of Laura Branigan's Self Control which still sounds fresh to me.
Strangely enough, on my iPhone I tend to go back to the same 20 or so tunes mainly 80s old skool hip hop from the breakdancing days or late 70s funk. I was in Paris over Christmas and we are hanging out on Boxing Day night at a funk jazz bar. The DJ was spinning on Technics 1210s Tom Brownes Funkin' for Jamaica (NY) and The Brothers Johnson - Stomp. Needless to say, the second that I got back to my friend's crib, I was on iTunes selecting various mixes of those tunes and syncing them in playlists to my iPhone. I was lucky enough to receive AirPods Pro for Christmas from my friends and yes, they are damn awesome!!!
I don't pay for music streaming as 1. I don't like loads of direct debits going out of my account each month - the key to happy living / stress free life is keeping your outgoings as small as possible = for me, zero debt!!!!!! :) and I don't trust Apple Music to not make a mess of my life's curation of my iTunes library!!! (I use free Spotify occasionally when friends send playlists etc).
For my Eurostar journeys I also love the occasion audio book which I buy on Apple Books - for me the Apple eco-system is perfect!!! I travel for 9 months of the year to anywhere that appeals to me - I use my AirPods / AirPods Pro for iTunes films. I excited to experience Dolby Atmos audio from iTunes films with the AirPods Pro.
Also I love AirPods compared to other brands for their seamless integration with other Apple products - MacBook Pro, Apple TV, iPhone and their reliability along with beautiful UI on the iPhone. The whole experience is beautiful.

Last edited:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Apple Music for the past 2-3 years here, replacing a digital music library that I'd been building since about 1999 (Napster for MP3s, and a CD collection that started in 1990 or so) ... All I use my AirPods Pro for is Apple Music and videos (1080p/HEVC Blu-ray rips, mainly).

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I leave them in my ears all day to take calls and texts without having to interact with my phone. I tend to keep my head on a swivel and not looking down.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013

I was a Zune user from 2006-2011. I used Zune Pass which was basically Apple Music. Once I purchased a an iPhone I switched to Spotify then Apple Music.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a large iTunes library so if I'm listening to music with AirPods, RHA Wireless 750's or Aftershokz there's a good chance I'm listening to local music. If not that, then I'm likely listening to SiriusXM or watching Youtube Videos while connected to the WiFi at the gym.

Question for the OP, before you had AirPods what sorts of things were you using your headphones for?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Love my AirPods - been using them for years. What do I use them for? Calls and Music. I love using them for calls because I can walk around independent from my iPhone. I love using them for music because no wires and they last forever. I can use my Apple Watch with my AirPods to go jogging (no phone) and have hours and hours of music.

I love them because I can use them with my MacBook Pro, my iPad, my iPhone, and my Watch with no effort.

I was a Zune user from 2006-2011. I used Zune Pass which was basically Apple Music. Once I purchased a an iPhone I switched to Spotify then Apple Music.

Ha! I too was a Zune user - loved that thing! Once I went iPhone I too went Spotify then Apple Music. Nice to see another former Zune user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.