Airport 4.1 Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airport41formacosx.html

AirPort 4.1 for Mac OS X

The AirPort 4.1 for Mac OS X 10.3 software supports all models of Apple AirPort base stations including the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express models.

What's new in AirPort 4.1:
• Supports Keyspan Express Remote for use with AirTunes (AirPort Express only)
• Support for WPA security on WDS networks
• Ability to rename a USB printer connected to a base station

This software update provides improved AirPort wireless networking software, and is recommended for all users with an AirPort Extreme and AirPort enabled computer or an AirPort Extreme or an AirPort Express base station.

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2003
oooooo....

so a remote has surfaced....

come on Entire System Sound Wireless!!!!!!

(and how about the option of streaming music through airtunes off another computer's speakers?)

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
So ... this is the compatible remote? http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/urm17a/

I'm not too impressed ... I think you really need a remote with an LCD for Airport Express. Well, maybe you don't "really need" the LCD, but it would be a more elegant solution.

I hope this isn't the last we'll hear of an AE-compatible remote. :/

PS -- Why isn't this showing up on the front page? Is this a non-front-page news discussion ... ? :confused:

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
looks good

form the looks of the new setup window it seems like this is a big improvement. testing rite now and hoping for better reliability! :D

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
dotnina said:
<snip>
PS -- Why isn't this showing up on the front page? Is this a non-front-page news discussion ... ? :confused:
haha, just wait til all the other sites have picked it up as front page news. then it'll hit page 1.

aus_dave

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I seem to remember previously that the Airport Setup Assistant would not work on a computer without an Airport card (you had to use the Airport Admin Utility).

I just installed the update and could use the Setup Assistant on my G5 which does not have Airport, only a network connection. A minor improvement but nice to see Apple getting it right.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
i'm pretty excited to see WPA security for WDS set ups. would have been nice to see the ability to stream multiple/simultaneous streams to multiple AEX.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
all is well. . .

I've updated both my AirPort Extreme base station and AirPort Express. Nothing out of the ordinary. I think I will change from WEP to WPA amidst terrorism fears.

I have had some issues in the past with AirTunes dropping out, and my Express has had some tempormenal days. However, performance has been great considering both my neighbors have 802.11b networks (which i can not only use, but administer! One of these days i'll tell them they should change the default passwords :rolleyes: ) It will take some use to see if connectivity is actually improved. . .

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Works fine so far. I was hoping this might fix some connection problems I've been having, with the signal being dropped frequently, but I think it's just my poor ISP :rolleyes: I have my password as a WPA password for now, is there any reason why I should have WEP or different?

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up. read it on yahoo news a few hours ago, though I usually like to hear what others here have to say about updates before I install them myself.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
cool.....

Seems cool... did anyone notice that they (me) got a new Utility- Airport Setup Assistant for Graphite or Snow - ??? Another thing my reception to my Express was beat. My module was all of 4 feet away and it fluctuating between 3 and 4 bars. Now it is full all the time. Cool stuff.
If anyone knows what the new Utility is about let a brotha know...
Thanks
xDx

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
Airport Admin Utility Update 6.1

Did any of you notice the update for the Base Station (in my case the express)...? It downloaded when I went into my Airport Admin Utility to see any changes and it then prompted the 6.1 update?? Downloaded with no problem...fyi

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
I think what would be nice is a sort of browser control panel for the airport, it would allow more access. A good thing for cross-platform networks, but I suppose it's a security risk as well...

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Wardofsky said:
I think what would be nice is a sort of browser control panel for the airport, it would allow more access. A good thing for cross-platform networks, but I suppose it's a security risk as well...
You mean, control over safari/IE/firefox ?... :eek:
in cross-platform networks that would be.. let it as it is, the app is fine and pretty intuitive to use. now, I cannot install the update, can't restart...

Sped

macrumors regular
May 30, 2003
dotnina said:
I hope this isn't the last we'll hear of an AE-compatible remote.
Hear, hear. I am looking for an Apple branded remote that communicates via RF (bluetooth, 802.11b, etc) and IR. It needs to have both so you can communicate with your Mac / Airport and use it as a reprogrammable universal remote for your TV, stereo, etc.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I thought some sort of remote was on its way, as if you enable the OS X firewall it pops up a message in iTunes to say the remote won't work. "What remote?" I thought!

Not much good for me I don't think, I'll still use my iBook to choose songs and playlists and my stereo's remote control to do the volume if I put the iBook down. Not a big deal, but I guess its good that they are constantly innovating and improving the products.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
dotnina said:
So ... this is the compatible remote? http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/urm17a/

I'm not too impressed ... I think you really need a remote with an LCD for Airport Express. Well, maybe you don't "really need" the LCD, but it would be a more elegant solution.
That's what I'm waiting for. To me, the LCD is essential. This remote is useless because you can't easily change artists/albums. A remote with an LCD and some sort of scroll-wheel would be the best -- that way you could scroll through artists/albums and easily choose what you want to hear.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Nice to see that Apple is hard at work. I hope that this will add some functionality for use of the AirPort Card also. The PowerBooks need all the help that they can get.

billyb

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2003
no more airport express assistant?

seems that I used to have two utilities:
1. airport setup assistant
2. airport express setup assistant
plus the airport administration assis.

now i seem to have the admin. assiss and two NEW assistants:
1. airport setup assisstant
2. airport setup assiss for graphite or snow base station.

i'm confused...if i have an airpot express, which do i use to administer it? the ADMINISTRATION utility, or the setup assistant? how do i install airport 4.1? Is this firmware for the base station (express) or for my computer (extreme-enabled)? And there's a new 6.1 for the express...firmware?

if someone can help sort this out i'd greatly appreciate it.

bb

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think the airtunes remote is likely going to be an upcoming Bluetooth-enabled iPod. Note that it wouldn't be streaming the music from the iPod - it'd be controlling the iTunes session that is synced w/ the iPod.

It'll be nice to have WPA available for WDS! It kinda bugged me that I had to downgrade the security of my network in order to use this feature of my Airport Express.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So semi-OT question...how do you access a user list of devices that are obtaining IP addresses via DHCP from your AEBS? Similar to the user list in the netgear web-based tool.... My network is WPA protected and I'd be shocked if there were uncontrolled users on it, but it'd sometimes be convenient to know all the IP addresses assigned from my iBook (the iBook, Win PC's attached, my ReplayTV -- btw, can I get a :D :D :D for the ReplayTV...I just got it hooked up this weekend).....

Thanks! :)