Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RBilRamZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
I am the proud owner of my first apple, a 15" alu PB. I am looking into getting myself an airport extreme basestation and have some questions. first what is the difference between the two models, one has a modem and one does not. I am planning on connecting via either dsl or cable and want to know if the built in modem will take the place of the cable modem, or what (if any) the modem will do to help me?
I also have heard that you can set up a printer to print wirelessly via the airport network. Is this true? and where can I find a printer that can do this for me?
Thanks for all your knowledge and help.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
The built in modem is analog, it does not take the place of a cable or DSL modem. Personally, I see little use for it ... although you can call home and connect into the network if you are so inclined.

Yes, you can use the Airport Extreme as a print server -- all you need is any USB printer. Both versions of the base station have a USB input.

The one feature of the higher end base station that is useful is the output for an antenna. If you don't need the extra range, then you don't need it either.

riwanami

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
If you are going to have a stable DSL or Cable connection, you'll probably never need the modem feature on the $249.00 version of the Airport Extreme Base Station, which I have. If you have AOL's dialup access, you can remotely sign on via telephone line (max of 56kps) and share that through the base station. Again, with DSL or Cable, you'll never need it unless the broadband access ever fails. Furthermore, your PowerBook already has an internal modem, which essentially makes the modem feature redundant.

However, the $249.00 version also has an external antenna connector, which the $199.00 doesn't. You can buy an external antenna to increase the range on the higher priced model. However, you can purchase multiple base stations on both models and bridge them together wirelessly.

Finally, your printer must be a USB printer in order to be shared via Airport Extreme. Furthermore not all USB printers can do this. Finally, Windows PCs cannot share the printer wirelessly. (But PCs can definitely access the internet through Airport)

For compatible printers go to
http://www.apple.com/airport/printcompatibility.html

riwanami

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Just to clarify, that the $249.00 includes all the features of the $199 model, so the higher priced model includes both broadband access and dialup access.

To be frank, I have the $249.00 model, but I have never used the modem or the external antenna feature. Furthermore, I'm not sure if the Airport Extreme basestation is the best base station out there. While it looks cool, I find the range to be shorter and more expensive than its competitors.

While the wireless print feature is really nice, if you are on a budget you may find better performing base stations from Linksys or Netgear. (But make sure they are compatible and configurable with your Mac)

RBilRamZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
the USB printers you are talking about, they have to be plugged into the basestation, or is there a way to wirelesly network the printer through the basestation? if this isnt possible what about a bluetooth printer? anything good there?

riwanami

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Originally posted by RBilRamZ
the USB printers you are talking about, they have to be plugged into the basestation, or is there a way to wirelesly network the printer through the basestation? ?

No, the USB printers must be plugged into the USB port on the back of the Base Station. Furthermore, PCs won't be able to print through the Base Station.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
A point. Can the modem be used for dial-IN access to your home LAN and/or the ethernet? I believe I asked Apple this before, and the answer was No.

Gary1701

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2003
Windows PCs can print through an Apple Extreme Basestation.

riwanami said:
No, the USB printers must be plugged into the USB port on the back of the Base Station. Furthermore, PCs won't be able to print through the Base Station.

:) Actually my Windows XP system can print through my Extreme Basestation to my Epson 740i USB printer. The printer's network address is the address of the Basestation.

I'm away from the system at the moment, so I can't give you a step by step. The same procedure is similar to one used to add a Wireless Print Server.

:eek: Sorry I can't be more specific. If anyone is interested I'll retrace my steps and let you know.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
riwanami said:
Furthermore, PCs won't be able to print through the Base Station.

As was pointed out, this is incorrect. The problem is a lot of printer driver installers don't allow you to create the "new local port" necessary to accomplish this, so Windows requires more monkeying around.

What I did was set up a new printer via Windows "Add printer" function - just selecting any one of the printers that is built in to Windows (which obviously was not the correct model), so I could create the TCP/IP printer "port" for the base station. In my case that port was then called IP_192_168_1_1 or something like that. Then I ran the installer for the printer I actually have, and just told it to use that port I'd just created.

Note that, when creating the IP_xxx_xxx port, be sure to select "Raw" mode and not "LPR" or something else.

Gary1701

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2003
Furthermore, PCs won't be able to print through the Base Station.

Westside guy said:
As was pointed out, this is incorrect. The problem is a lot of printer driver installers don't allow you to create the "new local port" necessary to accomplish this, so Windows requires more monkeying around.

What I did was set up a new printer via Windows "Add printer" function - just selecting any one of the printers that is built in to Windows (which obviously was not the correct model), so I could create the TCP/IP printer "port" for the base station. In my case that port was then called IP_192_168_1_1 or something like that. Then I ran the installer for the printer I actually have, and just told it to use that port I'd just created.

Note that, when creating the IP_xxx_xxx port, be sure to select "Raw" mode and not "LPR" or something else.

Okay, I guess I mis-understood; and or I didn't make myself clear either. I responded to this part of the message. "Furthermore, PCs won't be able to print through the Base Station."

Windows XP-PCs CAN print through Apple's Extreme Basestation when set up properly to do so. Granted, I did not explain the "proper" way to do this. I'm delighted that you seemed to have done just that. You are also right on target with the "Raw" statement.

Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.