Airport download speeds not up to par?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DaSal, Sep 21, 2009.

1. DaSal macrumors regular

For some reason I'm getting slow download speeds when connected to my Airport Express. I'm getting around 1500 KB/s, when I have a 50 megabits connection so I should be getting around 6000 KB/s (downloading from Newsgrounds, so it'll always max out the line)...

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, I changed it to a bunch of different channels, I even tried setting it to Wireless N (5,0GHz) only, and it did speed up a bit to getting a max of around 3500 KB/s, but it was still really inconsistent, it kept dropping down to 1000kb/s and then slowly building back up to 3500 KB/s.

Anybody have any advice to try and fix the problem? My Mac Pro is right next to the Airport so the signal quality should be fine (and it reads full strength on the Mac too, so that shouldn't be the problem...)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you're right next to it, and on a desktop, just go wired, it will always be faster and more reliable than wireless.

3. DaSal thread starter macrumors regular

I would, but the express only has one ethernet slot, and that one's in use to connect it to the router.