Airport Express - Airtunes Disappears from iTunes Speakers Dropdown

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by superspartan, Feb 6, 2010.

1. superspartan macrumors member

I have an 802.11g AEX joined to my existing wireless network to enable Airtunes in another room. The problem I'm experiencing is that the AEX will be visible from the speakers drop-down in iTunes (and streams just fine), but will disappear later in the day. If I perform a restart, it appears again. I've tried to start fresh with my AEX setup, but the same problem occurred. Any ideas?????

A few more details:
    Mac is intel iMac
    Using 40-bit WEP with a hex key (have to use WEP due to a Nintendo DS on network)
    Latest iTunes (9.03)
    Latest OSX version

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Have you checked the Airport Express' log? It will log any disconnects and reconnects, and maybe a reason.

It might just be bad hardware. I had an Express that did something similar. Apple ended up replacing it.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

when i have problems with my express that joins the existing network, i've discovered a reboot of the main router will normally fix the problem.

The one thing you don't mention is what you're using for the main router.

4. superspartan thread starter macrumors member

It's a linksys wrt110 running in b/g/n mode. AEX logs don't show any activity right now. The router was rebooted recently. Another bit of info- my MacBook doesn't experience this problem...

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If you can't narrow the problem down, I would considering getting a replacement fro m Apple.

6. superspartan thread starter macrumors member

I've concluded this occurs after my iMac sleeps and then wakes. I don't believe it's a problem with the AEX itself.

7. snives macrumors newbie

Try restarting the Bonjour service. I have to do that on my Windoz box after it wakes from sleep.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Year-old thread.

9. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

I have the same issue after updating the firmware to version 7.5.2. Strange stuff.