Airport Express as router? Sharing Internet to LG LED tv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by justperry, Oct 10, 2011.

1. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Can I use the Airport Express as a router, what I mean is that if I turn on Internet sharing on My Powerbook G4 1.67 and then connect the A. Express to that Network, can I then connect My LG LED Tv to it through a wired connection in between them?

Now, if I turn on Internet sharing I can connect My girlfriends Mobile phone with it without any problem but when I try to connect My Tv through a Patch cable connected to the airport Express there is no way I can connect.
    I already tried this years before but it just does not seem to work.
    What I find odd is that when I look into Airport TCP settings in Network preferences I get the following:

IP Address : 169.254.64.189
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
    Router : Nothing shows up

But I can still connect to it with My girlfriends Mobile phone. :confused:
    My Laptop is connected through a Huawei #3G network Dongle and I share that connection through Airport Network and wired Network.
    If I connect the LED Tv through a wired connection it does work.

Later on I want to make a network including two LED Tv's, an Appletv (works when connecting to internet sharing) and probably two Mobile Phones.
    How do I start.
    I want The Tv's to connect wired as well as the Appletv.
    Do I need a (Wireless) router or what?
    Can I share My connection wireless to an Airport and then connect to a router?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

First off is the IP address the correct one, is this the IP that the router distributes?

Second your subnet mask is wrong it is probably 255.255.255.0 or 225.225.225.0 and the router is typically something like 169.254.64.1.

You should be able to put the necessary information in by looking at a computer that has access to the router and taking the IP, the Subnet mask and router address and just make sure that you use a unique IP from the ones being used.

Cheers

3. justperry thread starter macrumors 604

justperry

Thanks for your reply.
    Its not the router that is distributing the Ip Address, its My Laptop Airport Card which is sharing the 3G connection from a Mobile (internet) provider.
    So,I connect to the internet through a USB HSPA connection, then share that one through my laptop airport card.
    Then in the menubar the Airport Icon will be grey with a white Arrow pointing up,same like an Adhoc network.
    The value then has a self assigned I.P. which is :

This I find Odd because I many times before I had 169..... before in internet cafe's and the like and it normally means something wrong with the connection.
    What is strange though is that My phone as well as My Tv will connect through it.
    I tried to set the Airport settings manually but it won't work.

What I do want is though is this.
    I want to share My connection from My laptop to an Airport Express and then Use that one as a router but that just does not work until now.
    Thanks Perry