AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SD-B, Aug 6, 2011.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

Hi I have Rogers cable at home and a MacBook Pro. This I just plug directly into my modem.

I never bothered to take it wireless for i do always use it at the same table and to be honest, I bought a Linksys router several years ago and it was a nightmare of constant problems, slowing down on my second computer, at the time (PC) to a crawl, etc.......so I just didn't want to have to go wireless or network again

But i recently purchased a regular Macbook as well and now I need to do so.

I was told I could buy something at Apple for about $100 and went there today but the sales person not only told me it wouldn't be the right one for me, tried to sell me the Extreme version of Airport which cost $200 + tax. I told him it was more than I wanted to spend and he suggested I call Rogers for often they give people routers.
    With that i left.
    O the way home i realized, Rogers never gives anybody anything for free......LOL and now I am told that YES I could use the $99 Airport Express Base Station to have networked both my Macs wirelessly.

So which is it? Can I use the Aiport Express Base station like this one
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB321AM/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes

OR must it be this one, the Extreme version?
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MD031AM/A/AirPort-Extreme?fnode=MTY1NDEyMQ&mco=MjI5ODMwOTg

TIA

2. rc135tx macrumors member

rc135tx

I think all you need in your situation is this: "Create a computer-to-computer network
    You can create a wireless network between two or more Wi-Fi-enabled computers without using an AirPort Base Station. Using what is known as a “computer-to-computer” network, you can share files or play your favorite multiplayer network game over the airwaves.

Computer-to-computer networks are sometimes referred to as ad-hoc networks."

That's from the Help menu in the Finder. Just search for computer-to-computer & you'll see this plus instructions.

c.