AirPort Express - can you expand your listening pleasure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adam164, Jun 12, 2010.

1. adam164 macrumors newbie

Hello

Newbie here, please hope you don't mind the inane question!:D

My AirPort Express is linked to my Zeppelin via the minijack, so I can play music wirelessly in the front room. However I want to add outdoor speakers & another pair of indoor speakers in the back room. How can I wire wirelessly stream to these speakers? I know I will need an amp to wire the speakers to, but how can the amp see the AirPort? Will I need another one & run anothe cable to the minijack?

Sorry if it's a long winded question, I've been scratching my head thinking!

Thanks

Adam

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you could get another express. (check ebay for good deals). you can stream to multiple expresses at one time, i believe the limit is 5, but not sure on that number. I've done 2 with no problems.

or search for wireless speakers on the net, a simple "Y" cable would let you split the signal between your existing speakers and the transmitter.

The express would be the better choice, so you don't degrade the audio signal when you split it. It would also give you the option to turn zones on or off. You would also be able to have different music in the different areas if you had another computer with iTunes running.

3. adam164 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice! I'll think I'll get another AirPort & an Arcam or similar amp, put them in the back room & run the 4 speakers (2 inside, 2 outside) from that. Run the jackpoint into the back of the amp from the 2nd AirPort.

Now to convince the missus it's a good idea...