Airport Express...no bass coming out of my A/V Receiver

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Blkeydpeas, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Blkeydpeas macrumors newbie

I have airport express connected to my Onkyo sr 605 A/V Receiver with a digital toslink to optical audio cable. I can hear my music from iTunes crystal clear except there is no BASS. The only bass is coming out of the small woofers on my two front left and right speakers. My sub makes no BASS, and there is no sound coming out of my center channel or left or right rear speakers. My question is, should I be getting BASS out of my subwoofer with my digital optical connection to my airport express or not? Also, will I be able to hear that sound out of all 5 of my 5.1 speaker arrangement or just the front left and right? Thanks in advance and would appreciate any and all help.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

The Express sends two channel stereo. Music CDs and MP3 files only have two channels. The only why you are going to get more channels is if your A/V receiver can simulate the ceter and bass channels. I don't think any of the iTunes files are more then two channels so it hardly even matters that the Express sends two

3. Blkeydpeas thread starter macrumors newbie

I should still be able to get bass out of the sub though shouldn't I? I have checked the sub with video games, FM radio, and dvds and it seems to be working fine. Also, when I hook my macbook up to a pair of powered speakers and a sub with an analog cable, it sounds fine and there is plenty of bass. So therefore, shouldnt there be bass coming out of the sub when I am streaming music viz the airport express? Thanks for the reply.

4. Blkeydpeas thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it out....I needed to have my receiver on STEREO for listening mode when I had the CD input selected. Thanks for the input.

5. cdsuggs macrumors newbie

Similar Experience

I just replaced my Logitech Music Anywhere (it died) with an Airport Express.

Works great except my sub (which is set to automatically come on when it receives low enough frequencies) does not engage. I did not have this problem with the Logitech and changed no settings during the switch-out.

I tried the OP's resolve to change the surround mode; 5-channel stereo and 2-channel stereo yield the same bassless results.

The issue should have nothing to do with the fact that the music is being transmitted as stereo left and right, the receiver takes whatever the incoming signal and applies the surround mode to it. This leads me to believe that frequencies below 200hz are not transmitted through the Airport Express.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Many thanks,

6. cdsuggs macrumors newbie

Solved

Looking for magic and I suppose I found some.

It was the 'ol "my hand brushed against the audio input cable on the sub and it clicked on". It was pretty snug but perhaps it just wanted a little extra push.

How lame that my problem was an oversight. But hey, now my music is sounding as it should!