Airport Express, no sound on TV Shows. Music OK

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kiwicolin, May 27, 2008.

1. kiwicolin macrumors newbie

I have an Airport Express and use air tunes from my MBP.
    I can hear music from I tunes ok. I have some shows that I want to watch through HDMI on a TV screen and want the audio on my Bose through airTunes. I can't get audio. Is this something they have disabled so I have to buy an Apple TV, or is it a config error? Anyone know? I have spent hours on this and searched Google with no answers. I don't want to log into Apples support site because I dont want to change my iTunes PW again!! (The forums say its outdated)

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

airtunes does music only, no audio from video files

3. kiwicolin thread starter macrumors newbie

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

There is another program that will let you do it from Rogue Amoeba. It's called airfoil and costs $25.
    It comes with a video player that will let you play video with audio on an airport express.
    it also will let you use another computer (mac or windows) as airtunes speakers. and pipe all system sounds over airtunes.

so you can play a movie on on machine, and have the audio coming out of all your airport express and computers on the network.

5. kiwicolin thread starter macrumors newbie

shweet
    So I have to play the videos through Quicktime?

*forget the dumb question, yes I can play them through quicktime*

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

No you have to play the videos in their special player, there is a several second buffer in the audio so if you play in quick time the audio will be out of sync.

But the player should play anything that quicktime will play. which also includes anything itunes will play. although you might have problems with itunes store purchased videos.
    just highlight the item in itunes, right click and "show in finder". you can then play it in their player.

7. kiwicolin thread starter macrumors newbie

The shows are iTunes purchased so they don't play in the airfoil movie player.

Also the audio is really really low. I trieds turning the system audio all the way up, still really quiet

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

On the airfoil control panel, there is a volume control for each output.
    Plus if you click the equalizer button towards the bottom, you can boost the volume there too.
    and unless you are sending system audio, adjusting system volume won't do a thing. Depends on what is selected at the bottom of the airfoil panel. you would have to adjust the volume in whatever you are using to play.

Can you just plug the audio directly into the computer?

9. kiwicolin thread starter macrumors newbie

I could just plug it in, but thought it would be better if it would work wireless