Airport Express or Apple TV for airplay on bathroom

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaulKemp, Oct 2, 2012.

1. PaulKemp, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

PaulKemp macrumors 6502

I want to enable Airplay in the bathroom, and im not sure what device I should go for. So im looking at a refubished item and both the AE and the Apple TV is 85$. Im using a normal pc speaker set with a 3.5mm jack in the bathroom.

Apple TV
    Better and more future proof item, but, I need a digital to analog converter for about 20$ in addition to the cost. Also, this converter requires another power slot in the batrhoom.

Airport Express.

Has analog audio out, but no video if I want this in the future. Also, I cant really use the network functionality as my main router is the Asus RT-N66U. So i would only use it to connect to the network. No wifi extending functionality.

Im not sure, and i would like to get some pointers from you guys.

ps. I have tried using a old Android phone for this purpose, but its not working good enough. So im willing to spend the 85$ for the perfect solution.

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

i haven't tried it, but the aTV apparently doesn't play well without a monitor.

you would have to set it up somewhere with a TV to begin with, and then move it to the bathroom.

the old style airport express is still available for $69 in the refurb store. as btbrossard linked to.

you don't want to wirelessly extend the network if you don't need it. anything that connects to the extender will see a drop in speed as the extender has to communicate with both the main base and your device at the same time.

or you could go with the iW2 from iHome, i actually use this in my bathroom, all in one, so only one plug, and has a remote so you can control volume, and skip songs, can be found for $179 online. also no extra cables running around, and the sound is pretty decent. Thinking of replacing the old airport express and powered speakers in the kitchen with one.

4. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks for your help. It seems like im too late to order it delivered on a US Apple Store, so I guess I'll have to wait. Thanks