Airport Extreme – Time Machine – Ext HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AllergyDoc, Nov 17, 2014.

1. AllergyDoc, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I recently bought and set up a new Airport Extreme. I set up a separate 5GHz channel because my new devices seem to run much faster on it.

I moved my Time Machine hard drive to the Extreme, to clear it off my desk and so my wife could back up her rMBP to the same drive.

I seemed to have mucked something up. When I go to the external drive in Finder, I see Backups.backupdb with the name of my computer and subdirectories for backups that end on 11/14/2014, the date I moved the drive to the Express.

Separate from the Backups..backupdb directory I see the sparse bundles for both our computer, but no subdirectories.

It appears I quit using the former backup and created a new one. If so, I have a couple of questions:

1) Why isn't my new backup displayed on folder format?

2) Can I delete the old backup, which is displayed in folder format? (Assuming I don't need anything from the old backup.)

2. JTravers macrumors 6502a

Time Machine always backs up over the network to a sparse bundle. It only uses folders with a directly attached disk. It does this because Time Machine can't verify the file system of a disk being used over a network.

3. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Gottcha. So it's always going to be an "image." When I enter Time Machine it does display backups in chronological order, as it should.

So I can just delete the old backup, then?

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe you mean the AirPort Extreme. The USB port in the AirPort Express is only for a printer, and does not support connection of an external drive.

Uses for the USB port of AirPort Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express

6. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

You're both correct. I meant Extreme and have modified my initial post. I always get those two mixed up.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Assuming you don't need any old, versioned documents or anything from those old backups... yes you can just delete them.