Airport Extreme (A1143) doesn't see my Sitecom HDD Enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mawoudenberg, Dec 25, 2014.

1. mawoudenberg macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought a time capsule on ebay which turned out to be defective. I took out the disk and put it in a sata disk enclosure (sitecom-MD-291). My macbook pro can read and write to the disk and can make a backup in HFS+ format. But when I connect it to an airport extreme (A1143) that I had laying around it cant see the disk. It does see my other disk, a 2,5 inch 80GB usb powered samsung, so the port works.
    Any idea, how to solve this problem? I already tried resetting the airport extreme and formatting the disk.

Many thanks!

Maurits

2. rigormortis, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

there is 0 product literature for this enclosure.

this enclosure does include an external power supply right??

if it has no external power supply, there is no way a time capsule can supply the 12 v that the hard disk will need

if it does come with a working external power supply, then we need to think of another reason

the reason it sees a 2.5 and not the 3.5 is because the 2.5 uses less usb power to run it

this post / question probably looks stupid. but you have to understand, i can't even look up a manual for that enclosure and i can't find any reviews. , for all i know it probably doesn't come with a power supply because its a usb 3 only device

i walked to my pile and picked up a random 500 gig 7200 rpm i had laying around and it says its dual mode
    its 12 v .3 ma or 5 v .7 ma, and both of those voltages exceed usb 2

the reason why the enclosure works on the mac , assuming it doesn't have an external power supply is because macs supply more power then standard usb. a run of the mill mac can supply 2.3 times usb 3 current on demand