Airport Extreme AC Link Speed w/ 2013 air - iMac - nMP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RoastingPig, Mar 18, 2014.

1. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

I would like to know what speeds you are getting with the airport ac or timecapsule ac. You can check in network utility. I am intrested because i would like to remove the ethernet cables running in my room and go wireless with my nas setup and 2013 imac. The thing is i don't have a AC router and im intrested in getting the apple one. With my n900 netgear i am getting the full potential 450 megabit on the 5.0ghz N band but i would definitely upgrade if i could get the full potential 1.3 gigabit per second on wireless AC. Thats faster than gigabit ethernet!

2. mneblett macrumors 6502

Depends on how close you are to the Extreme. Sitting on my home office desk about 5 feet from my ac Time Capsule, I see the full 1300 Mb/s link speed ac promises on my late '13 rMBP. Sitting in my bedroom about 20-25 feet away, through a couple walls, I see 700-800 Mb/s, depending on position. A definite improvement over my previous generation n Extreme.

3. RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

enough said. im going to best buy to pick it up rite now. Thank you.

4. chrisn123 macrumors member

OS X picks WiFi base stations based on signal to noise ratio and NOT data throughput. Since 2.4GhZ travels better indoors, it will be automatically selected even when flu ac 5GhZ link would deb better.

Configure airport to create a separate 5GhZ network, and make that you first choice network. Makes a huge difference, especially for backup options or moving big media files.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Ditto to these results with my 2013 Air.

6. cynics macrumors G3

Slightly off topic and silly question but how are you guys checking local network speed?

I've "using" a Mac for a while but only just recently purchased one for myself.

7. RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

go to spotlight and look for network utility

once there go to the selection menu thing and highlight wifi you should see the speed

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Either go to Network Utility for an Ethernet connection, or option click the Wi-Fi icon for wireless connections.

9. mneblett macrumors 6502

Option-Right click on the wireless icon on the top bar.

10. rjbenson83 macrumors regular

so my DD-WRT Linksys only gets 54MB :(

11. cynics macrumors G3

Airport Extreme AC Link Speed w/ 2013 air - imac - nMP

Thanks guys lol.

Using a late 2013 iMac w/ AirPort Extreme my transmission rate is fluctuating but averaging around 550-600. Occasional spike to 700.

Router is 20-25 feet away (line of sight) through a wall and a entertainment center. There is 20-25 other networks my Mac can see however only one other is using 5ghz and its on a different channel.

Is there a way to check other devices local network speed to the AE like my iPhone?

12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Your iPhone will top out at 150 Mbps since it has a single antenna and only wifi N. There are apps you can get to check network speed on the iPhone, but I'm really not sure how useful that is since you don't so a lot of file transfers on iOS devices and more than likely your internet will be slower.... Just saying...

I went AC to speed up file transfers from my MBA and rMBP to our media server. Otherwise there is little benefit to me since my internet is 15/2mbps

13. cynics macrumors G3

I was curious of using the phone as a way to test reception/speed in different areas of my house. Not seeing how fast it is in general.

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You could, but speed will be limited due to the single antenna and wifi N only, so it's a no go on testing AC at all. You would be better off with the Air. However, I should note that the AIR is a dual antenna rather than triple so therefore the max speed of the connection is 433mbps x 2 = 867mbps. All other Mac computers will have 3 antennas so the max is 1300mbps.