Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
So Time Warner came out and installed a Motorola SBG6580 in my home (Docsis 3.0) to allow me to receive their Wideband Internet offering (50 down / 5 up) but i'm having huge problem with how it fits into my network.

I have an Airport Extreme and 2 Airport Expresses. Now the main problem is the Motorola Cable Modem is both a modem and a router. I want it to just act as a modem.

I called TWC and they told me to disable NAPT mode, which puts it into a state where it just acts as a modem. Great, that sounds good.

I went ahead and did that but when I rebooted the whole network it only allowed 1 computer to connect. None of my iPads or iPhones or Xbox could access the network anymore. (My Airport is on Firmware 7.6).

Why is only 1 computer able to access the new network? What am I missing?

Arzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Try following this to put it in bridge mode, then restart the cable modem and your Airport Extreme.

Thanks, that did the trick.

I also had to make sure my Airport Extreme was set to "Share a Single IP address" instead of "Bridge mode"

jerasmo

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
using the 6580 as router with ae

hi all,

i just purchased and received the sb6580 because i wanted to stop renting the modem from comcast. i figured that i would get the 6580 because it would act as a router and then use one of my newer airport express (ae) as an extender. i have two ae, one which can be used as an extender and one which cannot. the newer one obv can be. for whatever reason when i go to set up the ae with my new modem/router my mac is not finding them. i have already removed the firewall from the 6580 settings but i am not sure why the mac does not find the ae. I see that the first post on here was about using the 6580 solely as a modem so i figured i would i would tag onto this and say that i would like to use the 6580 as the modem/router but also use the ae to extend my network.

thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.