AirPort Extreme and WD MyBook Live Duo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gc916, Apr 11, 2014.

1. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

I am getting conflicting info from Apple Support and WD Support, so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I need to replace my current Netgear router (WNR2000v2), and am considering an AirPort Extreme. I have a 4TB WD MyBook Live Duo connected to the Netgear via ethernet, and use it to backup my MacBook Pro via CCC, and I also store my iTunes Library on it for use with Sonos. The setup works quite well.

The MBLD does not have the capability to connect to a router using USB. Will I be able to connect the MBLD to the AE via an ethernet connection? The first Apple tech said no. The 2nd Apple tech said "maybe." WD says yes, absolutely. I'm not sure who is right.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Absolutely. I have no idea why anyone would tell you you could not. :confused:

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The AirPort Extreme fully supports this connection. The only reason you received conflicting information is that to access the hard drive from the Internet, certain ports must be opened. The Apple techs may not have been familiar with your WD MyBook and did not want to give a confirming answer in case they were wrong.

The Extreme is a great router and I highly recommend you get one.

4. gc916 thread starter macrumors regular

gc916

Weaselboy and Altemose,

Many thanks for your help. There is an AirPort Extreme in my immediate future.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That's good to hear. It is a great piece of equipment.