Airport Extreme Base V.S. others PC brands (D-link,netgear,linksys)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alljunks, Oct 20, 2007.

1. alljunks macrumors regular

I have try various brand of wireless router, Netgear, Buffalo etc. but always have problems connecting on the wireless. I have mix match of 5 computers, 2 Mac and 3 PCs. All of them running G, except for my MBP running N.

It seems like my MBP is the only problem connecting to wireless sometimes. Should i get airport extreme base since i have mix match of Mac and PC? or can I down grade my N to G??

2. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

i have a g linksys wireless router and it works fine even with 3 pcs, 2 macs, and a wii. so... you might have to downgrade. :(

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I've only ever had one issue with an Airport Extreme Base Station, and that was due to the one channel being on for use on windows. I've tried numerous other wireless boxes, normally helping other people out, and it's always more complicated to set up.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Also I must say having wireless and being able to have my printer print via the base station is great. One printer shared by two or more Mac's is nice but that's just me speaking from a 3:00am print job from the bedroom ready for morning ;)

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You MBP should auto-downgrade when it finds and connects to a g network. My AEBS works fine in mixed mode (g or n) both in OSX and Windows (bootcamp).

6. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I've had a number of linksys routers. They ALWAYS required me to manually reboot them every once in a while. Netgear routers, in my experience, are totally hit-or-miss on whether they'll even work when you unbox them.

Finally one day I got so sick of constantly having to power cycle my (firmware updated) linksys that, out of total frustration, I marched over to the Apple store and smacked down the (ridiculously steep) $200 asking price.

I have to say, it was well worth the money. I've never had to power cycle the thing, I never have connectivity issues (Mac or PC), and like all other Apple products, it "just works".

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

8. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi Again killerrobot.

I saw this link after you mentioned it in another thread I was looking around here and there. Seems a lot of people are hoping that Leopard will fix this problem. If you hear anything will you post on here to let us know? I am wanting to buy a more powerful router but won't spend the money until this is sorted for sure.

Thanks

Willie