Airport Extreme - Internet via Ethernet but Not Wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nickwell24, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

Okay, I'm back with another Airport issue. When I'm connected via Ethernet it works perfectly, Wi-fi not so much.

Airport Specs:
    Connect using: DHCP
    Wireless: Create a Wireless Network w/ WPA2 Personal
    Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)
    Version: 7.6.4

The Airport is hooked up via Ethernet to a primary switch in the house. When I plug my Macbook Pro directly into the ethernet plug it works flawlessly, but I need wifi.

Troubleshooting steps I've taken:
    1) Under Network Preferences I've removed my Wi-Fi and readded it (worked previously)
    2) Factory Reset the Airport Extreme
    3) Restarted computer

I am not sure if maybe the airport extreme is finally going bad (I owned it approximately 6 years), or if something else is going on but I could use some help. The strange part is under Airport Utility it shows green lights next to both airport and Internet (Although internet flickers back and forth between green and yellow).

Any further information to aide in troubleshooting please ask. Also thanks in advance.

2. Nickwell24 thread starter macrumors regular

Update: When I set it up as "Join Wireless Network" it successfully extend's the houses primary network. I'd still like to find a way to take the incoming internet via Ethernet and setup my own network, which is how I had it setup previously.

Additional Note: I just switched from AT&T to Google Fiber if that could make a difference.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

An AirPort Extreme can only be used to extend a network. "Join" a network is limited to the AirPort Expresses.

4. Nickwell24 thread starter macrumors regular

All due respect, but I believe you're mistaken. I'm clearly given the option to Join as you can see in my included attachments.

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 11.27.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 11.27.17 PM.png

5. eduardrw, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

eduardrw macrumors 6502

You mentioned that you have the Airport Extreme connected to the "main switch" via ethernet.

You want the Airport Extreme to be setup as " creating a wireless network" then it will work! (and with Bridge mode if you have another router feeding into the Airport Extreme)

As previously mentioned: you cannot reliably connect the Airport Extreme via WIFI to a 3rd party WIFI/Router and then "extend" that WIFI with the same Airport Extreme.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Set it up as Bridge mode and it should work successfully.

7. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Not correct see my post above.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

When setup as bridge mode the only way to connect is Ethernet and it will work.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. An Extreme will join but does not allow Ethernet clients. It will however work with USB devices. I should have been more clear. An Extreme allows Ethernet clients in Extend mode though.

What you want is to "Create a Wireless Network" with the network mode to be set to "Off (Bridge Mode)".

10. Nickwell24 thread starter macrumors regular

Still no resolve to this issue even with all the advice given. I noticed this today and though I'd update everybody to see if maybe this could be the issue:

Notice how the IP isn't a standard IP. Any tips?

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 12.32.01 PM.png

11. eduardrw macrumors 6502

This is a self assigned IPV6 address.
    Report back with the following information:
    - Internet service provider (cable, DSL< Provider name)
    - Make, model of your cable modem/DSL modem or gateway.
    - make, model what you call "primary switch in the house"

Without that info nobly can help you - you will only get a guess.

12. Nickwell24 thread starter macrumors regular

- Internet service provider (cable, DSL< Provider name)
    Goggle Fiber

- Make, model of your cable modem/DSL modem or gateway.
    Google Network Box

- make, model what you call "primary switch in the house"
    Google Network Box

- make, model of second router
    Airport Extreme 3rd Generation

13. eduardrw, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

eduardrw macrumors 6502

Your Google Network Box is a router with built in WIFI.
    Other people have reported to be using an Airport Extreme in Bridge mode to create a WIFI network.

Here is what I suggest:
    - connect the Airport Extreme (AE) via ethernet to your Google Network Box (GNB)
    Yellow Ethernet ports of GNB to WAN port of AE

- Factory Default reset Airport Extreme(using reset button)

Disconnect the base station's power cord.
    Press and hold the reset button with a pen, pencil, or straightened paperclip. While continuing to hold the button, reconnect the power cord. Keep holding the reset button until you see the status light (LED) start to flash amber rapidly, which should occur after about six seconds.
    Important: Factory Default reset doesn't erase the contents of any hard drives associated with the base station.
    Wait for 2-3 minutes then start Airport Utility.
    It should walk you through the setup - make sure the following is the configuration:
    Wireless: "create a wireless network" and Router mode: OFF (Bridge)

Make sure the SSID and security+password is the same as the GNB's SSID etc. for a roaming network.

If that does not work turn GNB and AE off (power OFF). Then turn GNB on wait for 2 minutes then turn AE on.

Let us know if that resolves your issues.

14. Nickwell24 thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried that already. I ended up just requesting a wifi service call from Google. They said they'd be able to set it up. I'll report back with their findings so others know the solution as well.

15. Nickwell24 thread starter macrumors regular

So google Fiber just left, after 3 hours of trying things they weren't able to get the issue resolved.

Essentially the problem seems to be neither Airport Extreme in the house will accept a static IP address. We tried setting both of them but for some reason neither would accept the static IP and would keep defaulting back to IP addresses below .100.

Has anybody experienced this before?

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Setting the static configuration on the Google Fiber hardware is not enough in some instances. Sometimes you must also connect using a static configuration on your router. I have seen Time Warner setups where it is automatic-leave the router in DHCP mode and the modem takes care of it. Now on Comcast I have seen that you must have a static config programmed into the router. I think it all depends on the hardware that the ISP uses. We do not have Google Fiber around here so I have not had the privilege of messing around with that type of setup so I can only offer basic advice to my knowledge of how things work.

17. eduardrw, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

eduardrw macrumors 6502

Did you debug IPv4 separately by disabling IPv6?
    The self assigned IPv6 IP address you posted above is an indication that the IPv6 setup does not work.

Did you try this with a 3rd party router to eliminate the "apple" factor?