Airport Extreme N and Airport Express N speed issues...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xperton3, Oct 27, 2010.

1. xperton3 macrumors member

I have an Extreme set up as the main router in the house. I also have an Express in a different location in the same house to boost the signal to the other wireless devices. I noticed that my wireless speeds have been getting slower and slower. After looking at how my computers connect wireless using Airport Utility it seems that the Express isnt dropping the connection of certain machines when the are moved closer to the Extreme. I thought it would auto sense the closest router and switch to that one?

Whats going on here??

2. PLin macrumors 6502

From my understanding, WiFi doesn't work that way. When you enable a wireless device, it will scan for the closest network and join that one, but it doesn't automatically switch to the other network the second you are close to the other AirPort. If you really want to force it to join a particular AirPort, you would have to turn AirPort off and on when you know you're closer.

Also, are you extending the range by hooking up the AirPort Express using an ethernet cable or by using the wireless extend range function? The wireless extend function is basically using WDS, which cuts the wireless bandwidth by 50%.