Airport Extreme newb dual band radio setting question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by saintforlife, May 6, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I recently bought an Airport Extreme Base Station Refurb FC340LL/A. We have the following devices at home that connect to the Airport Extreme:

1) MacBook Air 2nd Gen Oct 2010
    2) Dell M4500 with Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), 2x2 adapter
    3) Apple TV 2nd Gen Oct 2010
    4) iPhone 4 cell phone
    5) Samsung Captivate cell phone

I assume that the Airport Extreme can work simultaneously in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. In the Airport Utility I have the Radio Mode set to "Automatic". Now is this enough to ensure that the devices that are compatible with the 5GHz (the MBA, Dell and ATV2) connect to the faster 'n' network and the two cell phones connect to the 2.4 GHz 'g' network automatically? In other words do the devices connect to the fastest available network that they can run on by default? Or do I need to make any changes to my radio settings in Airport Extreme to make this happen?

Also is there a way to check using Airport Utility or some other application to see which devices are connected to the 5 GHz and which ones are running on the 2.4 GHz at any given time? It will be nice to see that.

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Just set it up using most of the Automatic or Default settings for frequencies, and if your happy with everything then just leave it and enjoy. If you find that you are getting some interference on the 2.4 GHz band, then you can work on creating seperate names for each band and connected those devices that can use 5 GHz to the usually less crowded band.

All you devices will connect to whichever band is faster and should do it seamlessly. If you want to check which band you are currently connected to ona Mac, then hold Option and click on your Airport WiFi signal up in the corner. The drop down will tell you the info on what your connected to.