AirPort Extreme: On its own or daisy chain to existing wired router? Please advise.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ToTo Man, May 23, 2010.

1. ToTo Man macrumors regular

I've had a D-Link DI-604 4-port LAN 1-port WAN ethernet router since 2003 which has allowed all of the wired computers in the house access to the internet (I have broadband via a cable modem). I recently introduced an AirPort Express router which I connected to one of the LAN ports on the D-Link and I now have wireless internet access on my MBP with no problems. However I plan to also purchase an AirPort Extreme router to make use of its AirDisk feature and improve wifi reception in the house. From a security perspective, I am wondering if it would be more secure to connect the WAN port on the Extreme to one of the LAN ports on the D-Link, thus in theory being protected by 2 different hardware firewalls? Or does this not make any difference, in which case I should simply replace the D-Link with the AirPort Extreme?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It would be better to connect the Airport to your router if you want to access your files remotely.

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

From a security perspective it does not matter as the dlink also only have NAT and no real firewall so you are just as safe with using only the extreme as the dlink. It is just stupid and prone to headache to use 2 NAT-only routers in series, if you wanted to segment your computer with a public access then you can do that in the NAT router with the same security as putting 2 NAT tables in series. Stick with one router and use the other as a switch if you want or purchase a true firewall equipped router which the dlink and extreme are not. So yes replace the dlink with the extreme if you want to purchase that router.