AirPort Extreme question - Best way to set it up alongside my Fibre modem/router??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Colin0317, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Colin0317 macrumors member

Jan 29, 2009
    I just bought an Apple AirPort Extreme as I wanted better wi-fi reception and was tired of rebooting my modem after using a lot of bandwidth and it getting slow.

The way I set it up was by disabling the wi-fi on my actiontec v1000h modem/router and then I set up the AirPort as a new network in the AirPort Utility software on my MacBook. I see that the AirPort is in bridge mode. Are there any advantages in putting the actiontec modem in bridge mode and setting the AirPort as a new network afterwards or should I keep it the way I have it? what steps would I take to put the actiontec modem in bridge mode?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
  2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Feb 10, 2008
    Are you talking FIOS and are you suing their TV service? Is the actiontec connected to the entry panel by ethernet cable?

I pitched my actiontec and just use an extreme directly connected to the entry panel. Befor that I set the actiontec to bridge mode and did all the routing and wireless functions in the extreme. It was more reliable that way, even more reliable and faster now without the actiontec in the loop.

But not everyone can do it this way.
  3. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2008

If that Actiontec is a gateway from your ISP, the ISP should be able to remotely set it up as bridge mode. I always will prefer to have better control of my gateway. I am in a similar situation where I have an Attris gateway from Comcast and it is set to bridge mode. I have a ASUS N66U router as my gateway and primary router.