Airport Extreme Router + Canon Pixma MX922...wireless connection drops

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JuryDuty, Oct 15, 2014.

1. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I have an Airport Extreme Router that works flawlessly with all other wireless connections in my house.

But my Canon Pixma MX922 seems to "disconnect" its wireless connection frequently. The only way to print to it is to turn the printer off and back on again.

I'm lost as what to do. Any ideas?

2. ishark, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

ishark macrumors newbie

try to upgrade printer firmware

edit:
    Printer firmware update may be necessary for AirPrint function. Certain exceptions may apply. A PC running Windows XP or later or A Mac running OS 10.4.11 or later and USB cable required to perform firmware update. AirPrint functionality requires an iPad, iPhone 3GS or later, or iPod touch 3rd generation or later device running iOS 4.2 or later, and an AirPrint-enabled printer connected to the same network as your iOS device. A printer connected to the USB port of your Mac, PC, AirPort Base Station, or Time Capsule is not supported

3. JuryDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

OK, I'll try that tonight. Thx!

4. JuryDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Nope, sadly, Canon says they haven't issued new firmware. :(

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If the printer is near the AirPort, simply plug a USB cable into the AirPort. Sounds like the wireless card in the Canon is going. I had this problem with my Canon Pixma MG5220 and it turned out to be the drivers for 10.5 and 10.6 were faulty. When it "drops", open AirPort Utility and see if it still shows as connected.

6. LoRob macrumors newbie

The Canon MX922 has serious wifi disconnect problems due to the default settings for WLAN. It is set to disconnect if not used after a certain period of time. This has driven many users crazy, including me. The setting can be changed this way:

To disable this feature:
    1. Select Setup on your printer's Menu panel
    2. Select Device Settings
    3. Select LAN Settings
    4. Select Other settings
    5. And then Wireless LAN DRX setting
    6. Set this option to Disabled
    This helped me make my unusable MX922 a model wifi citizen after trying many, many different things. Hope that helps.

7. LoRob macrumors newbie

The Canon MX922 has serious wifi disconnect problems due to the default settings for WLAN. It is set to disconnect if not used after a certain period of time. This has driven many users crazy, including me. The setting can be changed this way:

To disable this feature:
    1. Select Setup on your printer's Menu panel
    2. Select Device Settings
    3. Select LAN Settings
    4. Select Other settings
    5. And then Wireless LAN DRX setting
    6. Set this option to Disabled
    This helped me make my unusable MX922 a model wifi citizen after trying many, many different things. Hope that helps.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Great tip! Thank you for sharing.