AirPort Extreme Software Update v3.1

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In your OS X Software Update for Airport Extreme:

This software update provides improved AirPort wireless networking software, and is recommended for all users with an AirPort Extreme enabled computer or an AirPort Extreme base station.

New AirPort Extreme Base Station Features

This software includes v 5.1 of the AirPort Extreme base station firmware. Instructions for updating the base station firmware can be found in AirPort Help.

This update is compliant with the final IEEE 802.11g specification for both the AirPort Extreme base station and AirPort Extreme client. Additional new features include AirPort Extreme base station and client support for Interference Robustness, which provides improved performance when 2.4GHz devices like cordless phones and wireless video distribution system cause significant interference with the AirPort network, simpler WDS setup within the AirPort Admin Utility, and more.

Article Link: AirPort Extreme Software Update v3.1

E

evilfunkgenius

Anyone know if this will actually provide an iTunes-like downgrade of service (due to the new "lesser" WiFi specs)??

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
finally apple fixed it, earlier today all itw as downloading was the old 5.0.4 veriont. they also came out with ipod software 2.0.1 today.

iJon

york2600

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
There's a bit of confusion on the final 802.11g specs. It's not really a downgrade. It worked the way it was originally speced, but many people didn't understand how it was speced out. If you want full speed you really need all G clients. You're going to have to live with that. There's a lot better explainations out there on the confusion though. Check them out.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I have an iBook 900, Airport card, and a d-link base station.

Why on earth would I download this (and why is it in my software update)?

Also, is there a way to keep this out of my software update?

Just curious.:confused:

Osglith

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
I Hacked my TiBook 667 to AP Extream

I used this site http://www.osxhax.com/ to use a Linksys Wireless-G card instead of my internal AP card. It works like a champ. I wish Apple would open up AP Extream to 3rd party vendors! I just don't get them sometimes.

Also, you can tell software update to ignore certain stuff by using APPLE-(-) [that's a negitive sign], or look under the File pull down for the menu option.

nickgold

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2001
Phone interference

I would like to know if anybody who has been experiencing interference in signal, especially from 2.4 GHz phones, notices an improvement with this release.

Thanks!

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
Re: I Hacked my TiBook 667 to AP Extream

Originally posted by Osglith
I wish Apple would open up AP Extream to 3rd party vendors! I just don't get them sometimes.
Repeat after me. Apple is a hardware company first.

That's why.

Though i can use Linksys wireless G cards to connect to my AE on my PC and Thinkpad, so I am happy. not like their wireless card was *too* outrageously priced (for my 12" powerbook, for you I understand, you were SOL)

agentpaul420

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Airport 3.1

In response to some people's complaining that Apple has not let 3rd party components work with Airport, this update fixes that. I also used the Infamous AE Hack on osxhack.com and then updated to this new version and found that it was no longer needed. If you look on the osxhack.com website they state that this update has taken care of that problem. So Apple has allowed 3rd party components to work with there software (that is if you have a Broadcom chip like my Linksys Wireless G Card does).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.