AirPort Extreme/TC gone in AirPort Utility

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by sumo.do, Aug 15, 2016.

1. sumo.do macrumors regular

sumo.do

Apologies if this has already been posted.

There is a growing issue in the last few days/weeks with AirPort Extremes and TCs where they are disappearing in the AirPort Utility and also disappearing as an available network disk (in the TCs case) as well as for a Time Machine disk. They feed internet and IPs etc. Most importantly for me, my Time Machine disk in the TC vanished on the network. It was still there with all backups after the fix but at first I was worried the TC had bricked or had s@#t its self.

Basically the green light is on but the TC/Extreme disappears from the AirPort Utility and Finder and Time Machine.

Seems to be happening to a lot of people (including me) and is well documented on this site:

https://www.macintouch.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=471

FIX:

Remove Back to My Mac Apple ID/s.

This may be difficult to even get to the app to remove them. The way I found was to hard rest the TC, then import a backup and them immediately remove the ID/s before you reboot. Alternatively, if you do not have a complicated setup you can hard reset and then rebuild the setting but avoid adding in the Apple ID/s into to Back to My Mac section.

Apple PLEASE FIX THIS.

Note, it happens with both ElCapitan and Sierra for me so it is a TC/Extreme issue, not OS.

2. an-other macrumors regular

I experienced the Airport Utility wonkiness this weekend as I added a HPM02 dn printer to my network. Wasted a bunch of hours. About 2/3 was due the printer (I will not buy a HP again-- they used to be my go to. Perhaps their non-Ethernet printers are better) and 1/3 due to the Airport Utility.

I confirmed the extended airports were working by doing a speedtest with an AppleTv wired in. Hope that idea helps someone in the same situation.

As sumo.do said: please fix.

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I had the same thing. I was able to go to the airport utility on OS X El Capitan, File, Configure other. I then put in the router ip (I think most default to 10.0.1.1) then put in the configuration password. You can then delete the back to my mac settings and restart.

I hope this gets fixed quickly, I am going to move in a few days and would hate to have multiple issues when setting up my new internet connection.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I wonder if downgrading the firmware to 7.7.3 would resolve this issue, as I never noticed any complaints before the new update. That being said, if Apple changed something in the Back To My Mac server end causing this issue, then the point is moot.

5. sumo.do thread starter macrumors regular

sumo.do

I personally think it is the back end (or at least involve the back end) as the issue did not immediately arise after the firmware update and I am now having issues with ticking the box next to Back to My Mac in the iCloud settings in OS X. I can tick it but it says can't proceed due to an error and I have to untick. Although that may relate (most likely not) to the fact that I have removed the Apple IDs on the Airport TC.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you want to test, it is not challenging to roll back the firmware on the AirPort. That way we can get to the root of the issue whether it is the firmware or iCloud itself.

7. sumo.do thread starter macrumors regular

sumo.do

Is anyone (who is having the issue noted in this post and has removed BTMM Apple IDs) also having IPv6 connectivity issues? I have noticed that around the same time I started having these issues (noted in my original post) my Apple TC and AirPort Extreme both have stop pulling IPv6 DNS and addresses from my ISP. It's like my ISP does not have any IPv6 capability (when it does). I have no problems with getting IPv6 addresses etc with my Macs and other routers directly connected to the modem (fiber network termination device). So it appears to not be the ISP or cabling. Simply put, only the Airports are not dealing with any IPv6, whether it be pulling or assinging. I have tried everything (factory reset etc.). I am just wondering whether the BTMM problem is larger and affects other areas of the AirPorts?

8. BlueSkyMike1 macrumors newbie

Yes I can confirm that rolling back to 7.7.3 allows Back to My Mac to work again

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is good news so that people can temporarily roll back until Apple offers an official fix. I am not entirely sure that it is strictly the firmware, as Back To My Mac worked just fine on the newest firmware up until recently.

10. sumo.do thread starter macrumors regular

sumo.do

I've tested the Apple TC with an Apple ID in the BTMM window for about 24 hours now and it is still ok. Originally the issue arose after 5 minutes. Not sure if Apple has fixed the issue or they've flicked a switch somewhere but it seems ok.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well, keep it on good authority whether it goes out or not. Sometimes certain firmwares play better with services when they act up. For example, Windows 7 Enterprise has been throwing a few errors trying to use Windows Update, but Windows 7 Professional works just fine. I have no clue as to why, and the same applies here...

12. Fabian90 macrumors regular

I reported this issue via Apple's Bugreporter

13. sumo.do thread starter macrumors regular

sumo.do

It is disappointing but the problem is back for me on both my 2013 AirPort TC and 2012 Airport Extreme. Even though they do not have the BTMM Apple ID. I have tried everything. both routers dissapear from the AirPort App after a short while.

14. Fabian90 macrumors regular

Apple closed my bugreport, telling me it's a duplicate.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try rolling back to 7.7.3 then until Apple fixes the problem properly.

16. sumo.do thread starter macrumors regular

sumo.do

Done it. I am beginning to think the impossible, that both AirPorts have chucked it in at the same time because I am also having IPv6 issues and WAN issues. Not all issues are the same on each AirPort.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If the 7.7.3 firmware holds up and continues to work properly, then I would continue to run that until Apple releases a new firmware and try upgrading again.