Airport Extreme + TP-Link TL-WPA4220T KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Frizers, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Frizers macrumors regular

Hi guys, been browsing but haven't been able to find anything.

I've got an airport extreme (2012 I think) and I've bought the TP power line wifi adapters in the title (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GC3Z6I0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers) however, the problem is it requires WPS to clone the details of the airport extreme so that I can move seamlessly around the house (currently they create separate networks). Any idea what I could do? I don't believe I'm the first one to have this problem.

I also have an airport express but the walls are thick/refuse to let wifi through so i wanted a power line solution.

Any help would be much appreciated. If I've missed a thread please direct me to it :)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I don't understand the question. The powerline adapters connect to the AirPort via WPS? You can do that in AirPort Utility.

3. Frizers thread starter macrumors regular

One powerline adapter plugs straight into the AirPort Extreme and two more adapters around the house provide Ethernet and wifi coverage. The problem at the moment is each powerline wifi adapter provided it's own network so I have to change network when I love to different rooms. On the instructions it says to use the WPS function on the router to clone the original network so that it all appears as one network... But there is no wps on an AirPort Extreme :/

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There should be a button for a WPS Printer in AirPort Utility. It should still work for these adapters. This should explain it well for you.

5. Frizers thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much! Away for the weekend but I'll give it a try on Monday :D

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It may not work but it is worth a shot! Report back when you get to try it so we can hear the result.

7. Frizers thread starter macrumors regular

So that idea sadly didn't work. It just said searching for wps printers whilst i had pressed the wifi clone button on the power line adapters.

However, I called the company and they directed me to some software and told me how to do it by changing the SSIDs and passwords to mirror my router's and hey presto it works. Probably an obvious solution for most but I'm not great with networking.

Thanks for your help nonetheless :)

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That effectively makes a roaming network.

9. Frizers thread starter macrumors regular

Is that a problem? Everything has been working fine apart from airplay (perhaps the problem I was asking about). My iphone can't find my airplay speaker but my laptop can (maybe the speaker and the laptop are nothing connecting through the AirPort Extreme and the iphone was going via the powerline and so this means that it doesn't always work? Quite annoying though :/ any idea what I could do for that?

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So long as the "extenders" are in true bridge mode it should work fine. Try moving the speaker if it is a portable one and put it near an extender. Then connect your iPhone near the extender and see if the issue is only with AirPlay failing to go across AP to AP.

11. ethan9482 macrumors newbie

Hi Frizers - I have just today got the same kit and facing the same problems but its out of hours for support - by chance do you remember the process to mirror the SSID?

Thanks

12. Frizers thread starter macrumors regular

Hey sorry for the late reply. Umm it involved going onto their website and downloading a program for the specific model and then through that changing the SSID to the same name for each one. I'm afraid I can't really remember but if you call them during hours they are really helpful.

Only problem is airplay is a bit haywire. Sometimes its available on my mac/iphone sometimes not. Probably just depends which is connected to which extender/router but its a good trade off for coverage all around the house :)

13. ethan9482 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply and no problem for the delay.

I ended up returning them as not going to do what I was after, I figured out what you meant about the SSID etc but it caused me further issues when set up that way so decided against it.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond though.

14. dupuytren macrumors newbie

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I bumped into this post as I was looking for help. Managed to find the solution elsewhere with a bit of experimenting, this is what worked for me.

1. I reset the powerlines (no need to do this if you are using this for the first time)
    2. Plug them in and connect the main one to your router (see manual to identify which power line is which)
    3. once both are synced, I went to this site:
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/do...rsion=V1#tbl_b
    Here you can download the power line utility
    4. Open the utility and it should be able to detect your device (only one came up on mine so i guess thats normal) - and press connect
    5. once you do that, go to Wireless menu in the utility, change the SSID (this is the name of your network, so I used exactly the same name as the one I have on my Airport Extreme), press Save.
    6. Change your password (I used WPA2-PSK) and used the same password as my AE too, press Save. Then press Reboot.

It should now work.
    But I realise that the extender bit only works well if you other computer/device is close enough to it otherwise it may still be running through your router which will yield a slower speed.
    Hope this helps.