Airport Extreme Upload Very Poor all of a sudden

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pfjellman, Jun 21, 2010.

1. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

First, let me apologize if this has been answered/addressed elsewhere in the forums, or if this is posted in the wrong area.

I've spent a considerable amount of time researching this and searching through these forums and haven't found an answer so I'm making a new post. Feel free to scold me if you want!

I have an Airport Extreme with 802.11g (it's the one that looks like a UFO) and have been using it for a long time with no problems. All of a sudden, about three days ago, I noticed poor internet performance (I mean really poor, a basic website would take a minute+ to load). I reset my modem (Linksys Cable Modem) and my router, and the speeds seemed to get better, but I noticed something troubling. A speed test shows that I'm getting right around my normal download (20Mbps) but my upload is now at .30 mbps -- I get roughly 20-30K/sec uploading.

My speed tests used to show 1.5-2mbps upload, and I'd get 250-300k/sec uploading steady.

I first suspected my ISP, but upon connecting my Mac directly to the modem via Ethernet, my upload speed was right at 1.8mbps again, so I'm suspecting the AirPort.

I have a MacBook Pro, 2 iPhones and an iPad connected wirelessly, and a Mac Pro connected via Ethernet going into the AirPort. All devices perform horribly when uploading (all averaging around 25k/sec).

I've changed the MTU on my Mac Pro, tried the latest firmware (5.7) and went back down to 5.5.1 -- nothing fixes the poor upload problem.

I'm wondering if I should reset my AirPort back to factory?

I have no port forwarding on and nothing out of the ordinary in my settings -- everything is very basic.

I've tried disabling and reenabling security as well, doesn't help.

Has anyone else dealt with or heard of this problem? Any possible solution would be most welcome.

It may be that I have to get an AirPort Extreme Wireless N edition, only the iPad and iPhones have wireless N, not my MacBook Pro, and my Mac Pro is connected via ethernet so it seems like it might be overkill.

2. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I have not had speed issues, however I am getting delays in streaming of the packets to all my devices. I will be loading pages normally for a couple minutes and then the delays kick in and it will just sit there. Not sure what the issue is, but I am thinking of just getting a linksys wireless modem so that I can just set it up and forget about it. Anyone else have similar issues as us?

3. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

My AirPort Extreme is booting my MacBook pro off as well as the ATV. BUT the ATV will relink once I put my password in where the Pro will time out before linking back into my network. Pissing me off to say the least.

I have posted about this before and it is still going on. All the iphones in the house and the iPad are not affected. In fact when I cant get my my Pro or white macbook online ill use the ipad with ZERO issues....

got me whats going on but it all happened after the last OS update.

3 1/2 years I have had the extreme in the house and not 1 issue ever.... now its just tasking me everyday.