Airport Extreme use out of my home network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gr80Likes2Boogi, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

Hey all,

I want to test the range of an AE base station at a theatre that I'm installing wi-fi for. I'm wi-fi challenged, so the AE was my choice when setting up my home network. I may need to extend the theatre's network with an Airport Express, but want to test the range of it with my AE base station from home. (Got that?) [oh, and it's a theatre I work for and am installing all sorts of fun goodies. I'm good with stuff but wifi makes me corky thatcher. -ed]

Since I'm wi-fi challenged, will it totally mess up my settings on my home network if I try to use it at the theatre? If it will, then I'll just buy a fresh one for the theatre and see after that if I need an express. I'd just like to run to the apple store once, not twice =)

I think that's clear, but let me know if it's not... and of course, if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

So, if I got this straight, the AEBS for the theatre doesn't exist quite yet, but before installing it you would like to test the range an AEBS would have in that theatre using your AEBS from home, correct?

If so (and I do believe I deserve props for figuring that out ;)), you needn't worry about messing up your settings. If for some reason you have issues with your AEBS when you bring it back home to set things up again, just power cycle your modem (turn it off then back on), wait for all of the lights to come on, then plug in your AEBS. You'll be gold.

This also has the added benefit of making it easier to test it out with your own computer as it will already have your network SSID and password stored.

3. Gr80Likes2Boogi thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, you're absolutely right on with the deciphering. You get a cookie.

And thanks for the advice with the settings and such. I thought they were stored on my computer, I just didn't want to set up in the theatre and have my home settings be overridden. I will bring my AEBS to the theatre to test out this week.

Thanks!

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Anytime :)

Yeah, the settings are actually stored on the router itself. What's stored on your computer is information about your network, including the password needed for you to connect. And unless you reset your router, those settings should remain intact.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

What is this wi-fi being used for?
    By the crew for person reasons?
    by the crew for show reasons?
    by the patrons?

if this is to be used for anything "show critical," or if this is for use by multiple people, i would highly recommend running wired ethernet to the location of the second base.
    with multiple people connecting, you will quickly run out of bandwidth when wireless extending, by running the cable, each base will have it's full bandwidth available to it (so twice the bandwidth of just one base). When you use wireless extension, the remote base has only half the bandwidth available to it. (half goes to talk to the main base station, and half to the remote computer)

also, before making changes to your settings at the other location, you need to change to a different profile, if you don't want to have to set everything up again once you get home.

6. Gr80Likes2Boogi thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, waw74, I'll definitely keep the profiles in mind.

The wifi will not be show-critical.. if it were, I'd hardwire as you said. It'd be for use whilst in the booth. The office is across a hall from the back of the theatre, and the booth is at the front (behind the audience.) A vast majority of the programming I do for this show requires internet for sound file acquisition, so I do most of my work at this stage at home. Not that that's a complaint at all, but while in tech rehearsals, it'd be a major convenience to go "Oh, I need a police siren!" and BOOM get it, rather than make a note and go to the office/home to get it. 99% of the time, it'd only be me on this network as the office is closed during show times. Otherwise, all the office computers are hardwired.