Airport Extreme - very poor signal upstairs - only around 15 linear feet away

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sean Dempsey, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have an AEBS in my kitchen. My bedroom is above and off to the side. It's quite a walk away, down the house and up the stairs. But strictly linear, it's only about 15 feet away.

What happens, is that in my bedroom, even though I have 40/20 internet, I only get about 1.5 meg of INTERNET. If I move out of the bedroom or around, it goes up to normal.

I am not aware of anything strange that could be interfering with the signal, but maybe there is. Not really sure what the problem could be. What could be causing this sort of strange behavior?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

not really...

there's walls and floor in between, and depending on construction of your house, sometimes 1 wall is enough to kill it.

the angle the signal goes through the walls affects it too (think about a loaf of bread, slice it straight through, it's one size, slice it on an angle, it gets bigger)

it's a kitchen, so there could be a fridge, oven, cabinet full of pots, or any number of large metal objects in between which will also cause signal drop.

3. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what firmware your running but I had a similar issue last week. I downgraded my firmware to 7.4 and I haven't had a problem. I can go anywhere in my house and even in my backyard and have full speed with various iPads iMacs and iPhones all at once. Check your firmware. I've read a lot of issue las with the 7.6 firmware update

James

4. GirosD macrumors newbie

Buy a mount

If you want to increase wireless range and coverage try mounting it on the ceiling or wall like with this product:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRSDKX6
    Usually if you put it in on the ceiling in the middle of your use you'll get better signal.
    It optimizes the 11n/ac speed and throughput so that you can get great performance from your Apple Extreme throughout the entire house!

5. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

Ever since I switched to the 5GHZ band my range has almost been cut in half. I'm about to pick up a second one to extend the range. My house is so big I need two WiFi routers... first world problems :D

6. GirosD macrumors newbie

That is a major first world problem but maybe you should try mounting it before buying a new one?

7. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I may attempt to move it.

8. phositadc macrumors 6502

Or consider getting a router with superior range and power, such as the top end asus or netgear.

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

I can't think of a worse place to put it than the kitchen.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is why the AirPort by default uses the same SSID and negotiates with your clients what is the best channel and band to use. When far off, it uses 2.4 but close range is 5 GHz which is faster but doesn't penetrate walls and other structures as well...