Airport Extreme vs. Belkin N1 Vision vs. Belkin Pre-N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mcdj, Aug 16, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I currently have a Belkin Pre-N that's about 2 years old. I've had a really great experience with it...it's fast (as far as 802.11g goes), has great range (in my small apt.), and all of my wifi enabled devices from iPhone to Xbox 360 to Palm TX have had little if any issues connecting to it. I get the occasional need to reboot either the router or my cable modem, and sometimes both, but no real complaints there.

I have a 12" Powerbook, and no N capable devices. But there is a Macbook (or hopefully a 12" Macbook Pro!) in my near future.

While the Pre-N is serving me well now, I wonder how it will play with an N-ready Macbook/MBPro. Will I connect at N speeds with the Pre-N, or with the new (hot!) N1 Vision, or is my best choice for compatibility the Airport?

Anyone using a Pre-N with a MB/MBPro and connecting at N speeds? Anyone switch from a Pre-N to an Airport Extreme? Is the speed/range comparable (via 802.11g)?

I hate to fix something that isn't broken, but obviously I want the fastest possible connection come MB/MBPro time. And, truth be told, both the N1 Vision and the AE are way cooler looking. :)

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Just switched from D-Link DIR 625 to AEBS. I had to because the signal was continually dropping (since the last software update).

No dropped signals and this router, unlike the D-Link, actually connects at 300 mbps. Very satisfied with it. Only problem that I have is that my old d-link adaptor card (used in a PC) doesn't see the network. I suspect that is because I am running it in 5ghz mode.

AEBS is definitely the most compatible router for you...

3. md63 macrumors 6502

Recommend getting the AEBS. I tried the Belkin Vision when it first came out and I could only get 130Mbs connection with my MBP. Also, the Belkin is only b/g/n while the AEBS is a/b/g/n.

If you're using older g hardware then set up the AEBS in 5Ghz n mode and run a dual band network. You get maximum speed for N and still retain b/g compatability.

4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Can you actually do this? I thought you could only have 5ghz or 2.4 ghz and not simultaneously.

5. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

By running both routers, yes; on a single router, not on any models I'm aware of.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

So do you run the AEBS in bridge mode?

7. md63 macrumors 6502

Yes. That what I'm doing know and it works great. The only real advantage of the AEBS is that it runs on 5Ghz. All other N routers that I'm aware of only run on 2.4Ghz. The airdisk feature is nice, however, it doesn't really provide enough speed for large files transfers. Would recommend a dedicated NAS drive such as a Lacie EDmini.